Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Evidence Speaks For Itself. And Apparently For Val.



Once again, Val has an impersonator.

This morning The Pony was in the midst of his morning toilette, brushing his teeth, washing his face, but most certainly NOT trimming his SIDEBURN…when he burst out of the bathroom, demanding, “WHAT?”

That is not like The Pony. He’s a placid fellow. Plodding along like a plow horse in a straw hat with holes cut out for his ears. But this morning he seemed exasperated.

“What do you mean, WHAT!”

“What did you want?”

“Nothing. Why?”

“You called me.”

“No I did not. I was in the kitchen, putting on lotion. I don’t need anything. I coughed. Cleared my throat.”

“No. I didn’t even hear that. You called me.”

“No. I didn’t.”

“Hm.” The Pony went back to putting on his face.

On the way to school I asked him, in our way, me looking in the rearview mirror to make eye contact, talking over my shoulder, him tap tap tapping at his laptop, “So…when you hear your name called in the house, is it a whisper, or just said?”

“It’s a yell. Like you always holler to me to get something.”

“Huh. Dad said the same thing. Something is throwing my voice!”

“Uh huh. I tried to tell you. It sounds just like you. I've gotten to where I usually don't answer unless you call me twice. Then I KNOW it's you.”

“That explains why you've seemed inattentive. The time I heard my name, it sounded like Grandma. And it was kind of harsh. Like she was chastising me, or needed to get my attention. ‘VAL!’ Like that.”

“Yeah. Now maybe you’ll believe me.”

Maybe I will. I do not think I care for this sincerest form of flattery.

***************************************************************
Now don’t you worry about Val.
Here. Have a listen to this old Randy Travis song, “Whisper My Name.”

5 comments:

  1. Doodoo-doodoo...Doodoo-doodoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm humming the theme to the Twilight Zone. Is there a guy in the bushes smoking a cigarette and talking in scary prose?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joeh and Stephen both have it right. This is weird stuff goin' on...

    Is there something creepy going on? Or are we going to be treated to a shower scene, and find out it was all a dream? And if so, WHO is the one who's soaping up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you say poltergeist? Think of it as the highest form of flattery; the entity is channeling YOUR voice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joeh,
    Am I about to enter another dimension?

    *****
    Stephen,
    Oh. That's just Hick, puffing on a Swisher Sweet, trying to put a sentence together.

    *****
    Sioux,
    No dream. No shower scene. No Man From Atlantis, either.

    *****
    Linda,
    I can, but I choose not to. As at school, I tend to ignore demands for attention.

    ReplyDelete