Sunday, January 11, 2015

No. I Ain't Proud.

Oh, dear. I hope it wasn't from the stress of me stealing her purse. :(

Mom is in the hospital tonight. She fell this morning, and was confused, and couldn't walk, and spent the day in the ER with me and Sis and the ex-mayor and Hick. The best the doctors can tell, she was dehydrated, and most likely fainted when she stood up. Nothing broken. Maybe we'll find out more tomorrow. I know she's better off there than sitting at home with us not knowing what to do for her. She's not happy. And kind of mad at us. BUT I HAVE HER PURSE AGAIN!

We left home at 9:00 to go rescue her, and didn't get back until 4:45, just in time to watch my meatloaf plans fly out the window. Hick came up with the idea to pick up some supper. I'm sure that does not reflect at all upon my culinary talents.

While he was killing time before our local Chinese restaurant opened at 5:00, he plopped down on the short couch after feeding his goat and mini pony. That may or may not have been because I was in his La-Z-Boy. Finders keepers, Hick's a weeper. I needed to take a pill, so I grabbed one of the last remnants of home Chex Mix to buffer my stomach. Ironically, perhaps, it was contained in a Chinese take-out soup container. I ate a few Chex and pretzels. Then I offered it to Hick. He was on that stuff like my sweet, sweet Juno on cat kibble. He ate it with the sound of his mini pony grinding a feedbag full of corn.

"I don't even mind that you're pouring it down your throat like a starving animal. But I do find the sound of your munching to be stomach-turning."

"I was starving, Val!"

"Me too. But I didn't sound like that."

Hick put the lid back on the tall soup container now holding three Chex, half a stick pretzel, and two Cheerios. "I'm going to town to pick up supper."

After watching a bit of the weather forecast (Liars UnAnonymous), I got up to change into my comfortable house clothes and my red Crocs. As I walked across the living room in front of the short couch, I saw that Hick had left a deposit on the carpet. A single corn Chex, and three shavings of cedar. I bent down. Picked it from the carpet. AND ATE IT! Not the cedar shavings, of course. I'm pretty sure that even though they smell wonderful, they don't taste all that good. Besides, who needs that much fiber?

Yep. Couldn't have somebody stepping on that Chex and pulverizing it into the carpet. I was cleaning, actually. Keeping my environment free of crumbs.

I should have just put it back in that container for Hick to eat. But I saw no need to give him another tasty morsel.

6 comments:

  1. I hope your mom is gonna be ok. We have all grown kind of fond of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your mom. I hope her hospital stay is a short one and her recovery an easy one. Please give her my best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell your mom that no driveway stalkers will be lurking around her house while she's in the hospital. I hope she's home soon. (Perhaps they were begging her for an encore performance, since she's such a hoot to have as a patient?)

    You're not too proud to beg or to stoop, eh?

    Liars UnAnonymous? Are they telling lies about the weather? What kind of swill are they spreading?

    I'm going to bed and dreaming of sleet--sleet that comes before 5 A.M...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mama always said, "A little dirt doesn't hurt." Not that your floors are dirty. Hope your mom is better and home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, hope your mom will be okay and home soon. And that you don't have to go to the hospital for eating food off the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. joeh,
    Thank you. I'm kinda fond of the ol' gal myself.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Thank you. I will pass along your regards.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I'm surprised she didn't ask me to place a barricade across her driveway. She's been a little cranky (no offense, Joe H), so we told her she's not going to be the nurse's pet this time if she doesn't straighten up.

    I see what you did there!

    I believe you now know the mission of the Liars UnAnonymous. You had all the livelong school day to contemplate it. As for me...well...not only do I use ellipses whenever the mood strikes me, but I also had a day off from work due to SLEET!

    *****
    Linda,
    That's my belief as well. Like that time The Pony cried for the half of his chocolate chip granola bar that he squeezed and made fall to the garage floor. Yep. Nothing shuts up a whining toddler like half a chocolate chip granola bar from a dusty garage floor.

    We're hoping Mom perks up. She's looking at 3 days in the slammer in her mind.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    ACK! I think that would classify as irony. I was famished from being at the hospital all day, and scarfing that morsel could put me in the hospital! Irony, or an O. Henry story.

    ReplyDelete