Friday, August 15, 2014

Like Sands Through the Hourglass, This is the Delivery of Our Mail

Ahhhh...Friday! That's one week of school under my belt. And since the week of school consisted of only two days, I had plenty of room under that belt for some frozen custard!

The Pony and I met my mom on her church parking lot, and proceeded to the not-very-good-but-at-least-nearby custard stand. For the record, The Pony had a chocolate sundae, Mom had a vanilla cone, and I had a Hawaiian Delight concrete made with chocolate custard. It was not so much of a delight. More of a surprise. Who puts strawberries in a Hawaiian concrete? I was expecting bananas and pineapple and coconut, but not the added strawberries. Quite curious, the license this treat-purveyor takes with my taste buds.

But this is not about my afternoon delight. This is about THE MAIL.

We usually get our mail between 11:00 and 1:00. I know that, because all summer when I drove to town each day for a beverage or some lottery tickets or to pick up a package at the dead-mouse-smelling post office, I would stop for the mail when I returned home. So when The Pony and I got behind a car stopped at a mailbox near the beginning of our county road this evening, I thought it was kids fooling around.

Let the record show that the time was 4:45 p.m. The car was a white, newer-model Jeep. Not a fancy Jeep like a Cherokee or anything of that sort. A regular Jeep with a hard top and a short wheelbase. It used to be called a Jeep CJ5, as opposed to the long wheelbase Jeep CJ7 that my dad had in baby blue with a wide dark-blue stripe and a black hardtop.

So...the white Jeep pulled over at a roadside mailbox with its flashers on. A blond girl yanked open the mailbox door and shoved in an envelope. She shoved the door shut, but it fell down. She left it, and the driver proceeded to the next mailbox. She was blond, too.

"Look, Pony. Those girls are putting stuff in mailboxes. At first I thought they were delivering the paper. But you can't put that in a mailbox. You have to have a little container by  itself for the paper. So they must be stuffing invitations or some political ads in the mailboxes along here. That's against the law."

"Huh." Said The Pony. All interested and such. I don't even think he turned his head to see that single white envelope the gal had put in the gaping mailbox.

We finally got around the Jeep. I looked in my rearview mirror. Yep. They even stopped at the old cow-lady's house. So much for the invitation theory. Must be political.

"We'll get our mail, and then sit on the gravel road by the creek until they come along. Then we will know for sure what they're putting in the mailboxes."

"Huh." Said The Pony. Not at all his bubbly after-school self, who only yesterday agreed with my every statement, in fact telling me, "I'm a-pickin' up what you're layin' down. As you people would say back in your era."

I pulled over near EmBee's mailbox row. The Pony hopped out and trotted over to peer into her gullet. He looked at me with not very much fondness at all. "No mail."

We turned onto the gravel and waited for that Jeep. In the down time, The Pony revealed that his phone was dead. At least that means he had been socializing by device, and was disappointed that he could no longer socialize by device until he got home to his charger.

The Jeep topped the hill and sped down to EmBee. One of the blond gals climbed out and fished around in the back seat for more envelopes. After they finally filled up all residents of mailbox row, the Jeep sped away again. The Pony trotted back to see what was inside EmBee.

IT WAS OUR REGULAR MAIL!

What in the Sam Hill is going on here? Why such a late delivery? And these blondies didn't even have a U.S. Mail magnetic sticker on their bumper.

I almost expect a delivery on Sunday by a cheerful whistling substitute.

Neither rain, nor snow, nor sleet, nor hail shall keep the postwomen from their appointed rounds. But look out for the sands of time.

3 comments:

  1. You can't expect blonds to deliver mail on time. Ha. By the way, Sam Hill, which you referenced in your post, is a place not far from Portland. It's on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge and it's actually called Maryhill. Sam Hill was a rich railroad owner and his estate was so far from everything, back then, that guests would arrive by rail and say, "Where, Sam Hill, are we?"

    I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val--I think the postal employees are getting spread thinner and thinner, their territory bigger and bigger, resulting in late delivery. We've even gotten our mail close to 6:00. Crazy!

    Were you a Days of Our Lives fan? I quit watching when that one character (Stefano?) died and was "reborn" a 2nd or 3rd time. Fall for it once, call me a slug. Fall a second or third time, call me a stupid slug...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephen,
    As the official assistant to the traveling secretary of The Political Correctness Awareness Association for Blonds Delivering Mail...I shall make you rue the day you typed that first sentence! Too much hanging out at Joe's blog. I will recommend that you are grounded from reading that cranky old man's stories for one week. I'll see you in court, sir, where I am also the judge, jury, and executioner.

    I wonder if Sam Hill ever had trouble getting his mail delivered to such a remote area...

    *****
    Sioux,
    The facts were stacked against them. 1) not my regular guy in his regular car; 2) no US Mail label on their vehicle; 3) TWO people on a mail route? That never happens; 4) not the old or minority veterans that are hired first by the USPS. I have taken the civil service test for mail carrier. Veterans and minorities each got a 5 point bonus added onto their final score. So I could have been 10 points better at taking that test of how well I could deliver the mail, and they would have gotten the job offer ahead of me. Still...I had five or six interview requests for rural carrier after I had already gone back to teaching.

    Those blonds must have been in a Newman/Seinfeld deal to have their hot little hands on the US Mail. They made me suspicious, because sometimes, the devil you know is preferable to the better-looking devils you don't know.

    I was a big General Hospital fan, and an even bigger One Life to Live fan. I guess Days of Our Lives was on before or after them, because I was always hearing that line and seeing the hourglass. My mom might have watched it.

    ReplyDelete