Monday, December 2, 2013

The Immaculate Reception (and I'm NOT Talkin' Steelers Football)

My name is Val, and I am a cobbler.

No, I'm not a tasty, deep-dish fruit pie in a 9x9 Pyrex dish, with sugared crust oozing syrup out of slits in the top.

No, I'm not an old-fashioned shoemaker, of the sort who might whip up a lying, long-nosed boy out of spare wood.

No, I am not a proud male fanning my tail feathers, almost the national bird. Oops! That was close. I still have Thanksgiving on my mind.

My name is Val, and I am a cobbler. I make do. Forget my hair pick back at home in the dark with no mirror? I simply grab a plastic fork out of my classroom cabinet, and fluff my coif with those four tines. They can darn near take an ear off, too.

Perhaps you've gathered that I live in the black hole of wireless transmissions. My home could be the Island of Misfit Electronic Gewgaws. It's not their fault. They're misunderstood. Underpowered. Abandon all hope of connection, ye who enter here. No phone nor laptop shall communicate with the outside world if my local geography has its say.

Last week, I wanted to listen to our school team play in a Thanksgiving basketball tournament. I knew that I could not stream it over my feeble internet. That was Hick's idea. And why we roll our eyes and say, "Phhtttt" every time he opens his mouth. I sent The Pony on a search for my old-style bulky cassette player/AM/FM/CD player radio. It's not a rectangular boom box, but shares a branch on that family tree. It's kind of a cobalt blue fat disc with a silver plastic handle on top, and two speakers in silver screen mesh that look like fly eyes.

In years past, I've tried to listen to the game while baking my Thanksgiving goodies. There's no good reception in the kitchen, even with Ol' Big Eyes sitting on the kitchen counter. Or the cutting block. Or on the table, right in front of the window. Black hole. This year, the game was the last of the evening. My goodies were strewn about the kitchen, awaiting their last ride. The Pony found Ol' Big Eyes silently watching us from the top of Frig. The three of us headed to my dark basement lair, leaving Frig to ruminate on his overactive icemaker.

In a deleted scene from Frankenstein, we unplugged the laser printer, plugged in Ol' Big Eyes, pulled out his antenna, pulled out the drawer full of past tax returns, plopped OBE on top, spun him around a couple of times, clipped two magnets of a yellow chip clip on OBE like an erstwhile permanent defibrillator, draped an empty Slim Jim box on top of the antenna, and wedged a losing scratch-off ticket between the handle and the chip clip.

My name is Val, and I am a cobbler. A cobbler who listens to high school basketball games in her dark basement lair with virtually zero electromagnetic waves penetrating the underground concrete walls.

6 comments:

  1. You are not just a cobbler, you're a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to a basketball game? Not my idea of fun, but I'm glad it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you didn't bring in Ryan Stone, trapped inside her Russian space capsule with little hope of survival thus sending her into dramatic and morose contemplation while she listened to garbled conversation, a barking dog, and the sounds of someone slurping a 44 oz. Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephen,
    I'm a marvel, I'm a marble, I'm a Kraft fudge caramel...I write sweet tales, but I'm not too shaaaarrrrp. Oh. Sorry. I was listening to The Steve Miller Band for a moment. That little radio was a work of art. Now if I can only leave it just like that until next Thanksgiving...

    *****
    Sioux,
    Apparently, reading about me listening to a basketball game is not anyone's idea of fun, either. Except for you, Madam, and Stephen and Leenie. Or maybe you just felt like after wasting all that time, you at least deserved recognition for your sacrifice.

    *****
    Leenie,
    I would have been more than happy to not save Sandra Bullock in her non-regulation space underwear. Haven't seen the movie. I've been too busy listening to garbled radio transmission in my dark basement lair. It's quite fun, you know. Despite other people's claims to the contrary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of those blue monsters at school. Scares me if I enter early in
    the morning and forget about the alien head sitting there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda,
    Of course it would be found in a school. Where equipment is generally 20-30 years past its prime. I think we still have a laser-disc player. Not that I'm bragging...

    ReplyDelete