Sunday, March 31, 2024

Hick Has the Scoop. Kind of.

Saturday, when I parked T-Hoe in my rightful handicap space at the Backroads Casey's, I saw that the right side door was covered with cardboard! Casey's has two glass doors at the entrance. Obviously, the one on the right was not to be used, though they didn't have a sign on the outside. Only on the inside, where a handwritten piece of paper said, "Please Use Other Door."

Of course I was dying to know what happened. The Old Lady Clerk who seems gruff, but is friendly with me, and recently sold a $5 ticket that won $100,000, was at the counter. I resisted the urge to interrogate her about the door issue. It's bad enough she was working on the Saturday evening before Easter. And probably got that question from all the customers. So I just paid for my tickets and left. Out the proper door, you know.

At home, I told Hick about the door. Thinking I knew something he didn't.

"Yeah. It was broke."

"Wait! It was broken this morning at 6:30 when you were there?"

"Yeah. The gal said it opened too far, and hit the stopper, and broke."

"Like, from the wind? I never saw a stopper there by their doors. You mean the hinge thing?"

"No. The hinge is what the door hangs on to open. The hydraulic thing at the top, that opens the doors."

"Oh, that thing. That's what I meant. Not the actual hinges. Did the wind catch it?"

"No. It was a mad customer. Shoved the door open too far on the way out."

"What was he mad about?"

"I don't know."

"Well, how could they let it go all day? How can they close up with cardboard for a door?"

"They don't close."

"What? They're open 24 hours?"

"Yeah."

"When I worked at a Casey's, we closed at 11:00. And opened at 5:00 a.m."

Hick is not a very good reporter. He's missing a few facts. What kind of psycho asks what happened to the door, but doesn't find out what the disgruntled customer was disgruntled about?

10 comments:

  1. Ha! Ha! Something for you to investigate Val:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was at the Gas Station Chicken Store, I would have no qualms about grilling the clerks for info. But at Casey's we're not such BWFs (Best Work Friends).

      Delete
  2. That is how Tommy gives me information--incomplete--even if he knows the answer.
    I still would not want to work all night with a door I could not lock in case of danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so unsafe. Might as well leave a gaping hole there. It's not like rain will get in. I doubt that a thin piece of cardboard is very effective for keeping in AC and keeping out heat.

      Hick thinks I am supposed to read his mind for the details he leaves out. Says I should have known what he meant. Except this time, he didn't have anything to leave out.

      Delete
  3. You might make a good true crime journalist, you always find the facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't have survived 28 years of teaching without finding the facts! As I used to tell the students: "I'm not as dumb as you want me to be!"

      Delete
  4. Oh, the failures of the media these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick is no Paul Harvey! We never know the rest of the story!

      Delete
  5. Honestly, I don't think I'd care what the disgruntled customer was disgruntled about. I'd be a bit worried that the staff might not be safe with a door that can't be locked. I hope it gets fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there today, and it's still cardboard!!!

      Delete