Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Retiree Auctionee

Hick went to the city Monday, to take some items he plans to auction Tuesday night. He normally doesn't sell in the city, but he says the prices are higher there. Good if you're selling stuff, I guess. Although he says they charge a 25% commission instead of the 20% out here in the country. One thing's for sure: Hick wouldn't be selling if he didn't think he could make money.

While he and his auction buddy were there, they perused other items that will be sold. Hick found one that he thinks is perfect for my best ol' ex-teaching buddy Mabel. She likes gold frames, you know. In a New Orleans bordello kind of style. She refinishes the ones that need a little TLC.


Hick says this frame is solid wood, 24 x 24. I'm the go-between, who sends Mabel the picture, to see if she's interested, and what she wants to pay. She asks what Hick thinks it's worth, and a few texts later, Hick has a bidding strategy.

What say you? If you were a gold frame kind of person, what would this be worth to you?

10 comments:

  1. I am a gold frame kind of person and if I were there I'd pay $35 for it or as much as $50 if someone was bidding against me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you must be Hick's not-evil twin! He said it was worth $30-$40.

      Delete
  2. After searching the internet, I'd say River is about right. I would have thought much more. This one is extra ornate, my guess, the right person might pay $100.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess Hick sees a lot of frames. He said it was worth what River said, but that sometimes, depending on the auction, you can snag them for $5.

      Unfortunately for Mabel, this was a city auction, with more classy buyers, I guess, and Hick had to pay $45 for it. He's pretty sure she'll be okay with the extra $5.

      Delete
  3. Awww, tell Hick it's a million-seller. Actually it's quite nice, in a bordello kinda way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My bet is the print is worth as much as the frame. That Hick, knows his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick DOES know his auction stuff. If he doesn't, he asks his cohorts who deal in the items he's unfamiliar with.

      Delete
  5. I couldn't guess, it's MUCH too orate for my taste!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess your house isn't decorated like a bordello!

      Delete