Thursday, August 9, 2018

That's No Walking Stick

When I came back from town last Monday, Jack and Copper Jack were strolling around the top of Bone-of-Contention Hill. I figured maybe they'd followed Hick on the tractor, and ranged down there following a scent. I put my window down and told Jack to get home. I didn't see either dog in my rear-view mirror. But coming up the driveway, I saw Juno dashing across the front yard, coming from Shackytown Boulevard towards the house. She's always the first to greet me.

I was ever-vigilant around my Sweet, Sweet Juno. Knowing that she had been cracking open an armadillo's shell scant hours earlier, like she was having a creekside lobster feast. I was a bit put off by her unbridled joy at my return. Uh huh. I put the kibosh on her intended lovefest. Having had her moist black rubbery nose jammed into my open mouth previously, I was in no mood for a repeat. Lips that touch (possibly leprous) armadillos will never touch mine.

Poor, poor Juno. She stood on the side porch, between the stair rail and the metal chair that I use to put grocery bags on. The chair that Hick moves every time he BBQs on Gassy G, and refuses to return to its rightful place. The area where Juno stood is usually claimed by Jack. He fits right through that gap, while Juno generally detours around the chair, to lean her head over the sidewalk and be the first to greet me as I come out the people-door of the garage.

I suppose my standoffishness yelling, "NO! JUNO!" as I came out of the garage made her think twice. Juno still loves me, though! She stood, wagging her bushy tail eagerly, awaiting a pat and kind word, with an open-mouthed doggy smile on her lips.

CLANG CLANG CLANG!!!

What in the Not-Heaven? Why was I hearing a clanging noise? It was synchronized with Juno's tail wags. She's hit things before with her tail, but the sound is more muffled. This sounded like a bare bone slamming into the metal legs of the chair.

As I stood, puzzled, Juno saw her opening. She ducked her head and strolled toward me. It was almost as if she was embarrassed. Still clanging.

That's when I noticed that Juno's tail was twice its normal length. How was that even possible? While trying to fend off her eager face, I saw the problem. Juno's tail was drooping under the weight of a long stick. It was tangled in her feathery tail fur. TANGLED!

Of course I tried to remove it. Juno was shy, due no doubt to me rebuffing her attempts at our lovefest, and instead holding the back of her neck with my right hand, and trying to rip a thorny stick from her tail with my left. She made several feinting moves to run back through the chair/rail gap, but I had a good hold on her. Almost as good as that stick. I finally had to speak harshly to her, which makes her sit down and hang her head. Then I used both hands, one on her tail, the other on the stick, until I ripped it loose.

Look at the size of that monster:


Oh, it may not look so menacing in that view. But here's why I had to rip out a few hairs to wrest it loose from Sweet, Sweet Juno's feathery tail:


I got a few of those thorns embedded in my left ring finger for my trouble, but they pulled out easy enough. I had to rescue my Sweet, Sweet Juno from its clutches. Can you imagine her roaming the neighborhood, wagging that thing? She would have been a laughingstock to the other livestock.

8 comments:

  1. That is one nasty looking stick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It could have been used as a medieval weapon!

      Delete
  2. It must have been painful for the poor dog.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't imagine how it felt, running around with that thing stuck to her tail. Like something chasing her that she couldn't get rid of. It probably hurt for a minute when I pulled it off, but at least she was free of it.

      Delete
  3. I can't begin to imagine how uncomfortable that must have been. Curling up to sleep would have been awful too. I'm glad you managed to get it out. I always explained to Angel what I was about to do and that it might hurt a bit but if he held still he would be so much better once I finished, so he would hold still while I snipped out burrs, mats and prickly grass seeds most of the time. But one time he had so many in his tail and around his back end I had to get him shaved at the vet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juno would have had trouble maneuvering around in her house with that freeloader on her tail.

      I can't imagine trying to get that stuff off a cat! Good for Angel! I hope you two are reunited some day.

      Delete
  4. Poor Juno may be losing more than fur. You know those armadillo critters carry leperosy? YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I warned Hick not to let her lick him, but I didn't think of my Sweet, Sweet Juno catching it herself! I just imagined she might be a carrier.

      Delete