Wednesday, August 1, 2018

It's HEEERRRE!

You might recall that last Friday, I canceled our apparently overpriced trash pickup service, and subscribed to a new company. The old one said their crew would pick up the old dumpster within 5 business days. The new service said we would have their dumpster by Tuesday.

Our trash will now be picked up on Wednesday mornings, with the earliest routes starting at 4:00 a.m. So I was advised to have my trash and dumpster ready the night before. Fair enough.

Monday night, we were getting antsy.

"Did we get the dumpster yet?" I asked Hick around 7:00 p.m.

"Not when I came in."

"Is the old one still there?"

"Yeah."

"I guess we'll get it tomorrow. If we don't have it by noon, I guess I need to call them. Or we won't get our trash picked up Wednesday morning, and we've already paid for the first three months."

"It's not a big deal. We can always put our trash in Buddy's dumpster. Ain't nobody never check."

"It won't hurt us to miss. We only have that one bag. And part of another. It just went out Friday."

As I was getting ready to go to town Tuesday, I went out on the porch to look toward the end of the driveway. Old green dumpster. No new one. I went back in and called. At 11:57 a.m.

"Oh, they usually bring it the day before pickup. They'll be bringing it today."

Well. Okay. If she said so. Time was ticking. I normally take up the trash before I go to town. Hick came in, and I told him we were assured the dumpster would be arriving TODAY.

"We might have to strap on a headlamp and take it up after dark!"

"It'll be okay. If it comes later, I'll take it up."

Good thing I had that verbal commitment from Hick! The sky was turning purpler by the minute. Lightning zig-zagged on the horizon. Halfway to the bank, the rain started. Hick had plans to go to a far-away auction. At 2:55, he sent me a text.

"The new the new trash can is here and the trash is in it"

Don't know why he text-stuttered, but at least we had the new dumpster, and Hick had taken care of the trash. Oh, come on! It's not like he had to walk the length of the driveway and back, dragging a dumpster! It was at the end of the driveway. Hick put two trash bags in his Trailblazer and drove them up there, lifted the lid, and put them in.

We'll see how this new one rolls.
_______________________________________________________________

WEDNESDAY, which is now TRASH DAY

Hick was mowing the yard when I headed for town. I thought of walking up the driveway to bring the new dumpster, Dumpy II, back down. Instead, I drove up, got out of T-Hoe, and lifted the lid to see if the trash was gone. IT WAS NOT! So much for hustling Dumpy II up there there night before.

But don't you worry about Val not getting her $20 per month worth of trash pickup! Because I met the new trash truck coming up Bone-of-Contention Hill. That's the blacktop section of our gravel road that Hick and Buddy covered, bumps and potholes, with a layer of free blacktop. Their shoddy work, though, allowed me room to get off by the trees without falling into a 3-foot-deep trench.

Once home, I stopped T-Hoe to take Dumpy II back to the carport area. I know you're all dying to see what he looks like. Here he is with his companion, the waste receptacle orphan that nobody wants.


Yes. We'll discuss his different-abled-ness momentarily.

One perk of Dumpy II is that his tires are virtually new. Lots of tread, compared to the Original Dumpy.


I must say, after rolling him back down the driveway, that Dumpy II pulls like a dream. He was a bit cheeky, though in that he's a bit wider than the Original Dumpy, and the corner of his lid poked me in the butt a couple of times. Which may say more about my butt than about Dumpy II.

However...our new Dumpy II has a gaping hole in his lid!!!


What's up with that? It will let the stink out, you know. Possibly attract predators like possums and raccoons. And SQUIRRELS can get in! I'd better not lift that lid to put in a bag, and have a squirrel jump out at me!

I was kind of expecting more for my $20 per month...

10 comments:

  1. Maybe that was trash the new company left you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I don't want to pay for any EXTRAS they leave me.

      Delete
  2. A used squirrel nibbled at Dumpy? Not a great start. And that butt bumping...you could start your own
    #metoo #Dumpybuttbumpng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a social media maven. Don't even have Facebook. For so many years the school told us we couldn't have such accounts, and I was not a scoffrule like so many colleagues.

      These squirrels are getting out of control. Every time I open the kitchen door, or drive up to the garage in T-Hoe, three or four squirrels scamper down the rail and into the tree line of the woods behind the house.

      You need to devise a plan to ban them from our porch. I know you have experience!

      Delete
    2. THey don't like moth balls.

      Delete
    3. If I wasn't worried that my stupid dogs might eat the mothballs, I'd scatter them on the porch. I might put some around the roaster pan of cat kibble. It's up on a shelf, and I'm pretty sure a cat won't eat a mothball.

      I can drop a couple in the dumpster, too. Won't even have to lift the lid!

      Delete
  3. Seeing as how it is a new (to you) service, I'd have thought they'd provide a new dumpster. Especially after keeping you on tenterhooks waiting for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But except for the GIANT HOLE in the lid, that dumpster IS virtually new. Just look at the tread on its plastic tires!

      Delete
  4. we watched our new trash service guy load our can, flip it up with that sidearm thingy and drop the ENTIRE CAN in his truck. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make sure to stand clear of my new dumpster the next time I'm up at 4:00 a.m. Oh wait, I'm up until 3:30 pretty regularly...

      Delete