Monday, February 3, 2014

The Meh Bowl

There was nothing super about that Super Bowl. And to think, I watched it 'til the very end, waiting to see the puppy/Clydesdale commercial, which did not appear until the 2-minute warning. Had it been shown earlier, I might have abandoned all hope of being entertained, like my mom, who switched it off once the score was 22-0.

Mom does not suffer losers gladly. She's like her own mom, who couldn't wait to watch the Cardinals on TV, then turn them off if they got behind. Not a good loser, my grandma. Many a time she trounced us grandkids at croquet. Not merely beating us by playing a steady mature game to our scatterbrained, immature efforts. No. A bloodthirsty, give-no-quarter game of placing her orthopedic shoe on top of her black ball, next to our colorful striped orb, and whacking us across the blacktop road into the dense hardwood forest. To her credit, she DID walk to the edge of the yard and watch both ways for cars while my boy cousin ran across to fetch them back.

Even though the game was a bust, Val the eternal optimist stuck around for those fantastic commercials. I said stuck around for those fantastic commercials. Except there were no fantastic commercials. There were confusing commercials. And boring commercials. And commercials which did not seem to be advertising a product. But no fantastic commercial. A couple were passable. The Doritos time machine. The Doberhuahua. The Carfax slow-clapping Rudy commercial. And the '80s wanting their Radio Shack back.

Halftime was not of any entertainment value to me. Don't like 'em, don't listen to 'em, don't need to see 'em in a major production. In fact, I may have, commented to Hick, please pardon my crass analogy, "This halftime show appears to be a real sausagefest this year. I don't think a lot of guys want to see Bruno Mars and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. And aren't most of the viewers of the Super Bowl guys? I mean, sure the women might be watching with one eye while bringing out more snacks, but I imagine the demographic is predominantly male." Okay. So I didn't use those exact words. I was talking to Hick, remember? I just mentioned that guys wouldn't like it, and women would be busy during halftime.

Hick got my drift. We're simpatico like that. "Who IS that guy? I've never seen him before. And who's that fool with his shirt off? What they need is the Rockettes. They don't even need music. Just the Rockettes, kickin' their legs up. I'd rather hear that opera gal sing the Star-Spangled Banner again than this guy. The last time I remember a halftime show at the Super Bowl was Janet Jackson. They need Janet Jackson again."

There you have it. A review of the Super Bowl broadcast by Thevictorians.

11 comments:

  1. Val--I didn't watch ANY of it...and it sounds like I didn't miss anything, either.

    Perhaps you and Hick should create a commercial for the next Super Bowl. What would that commercial be like...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of women at SB parties...they live for the commercials and the half-time show. I think the half-time should be 15 minutes of a marching band, but...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad Super Bowl in all ways. The game was sad, the half time was sad and the time I lost watching it makes me more sad. What a waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your commercial descriptions were spot on. The Doritos time machine was the best, and the puppy-Clydesdale. Otherwise, WTH was that?! Do you think this is a part of the dumbing down of America?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The "football game" was something to do while we waited for the commercials. The commercials became a contest for us--Can You Guess What They Are Selling? It was a challenging gamr usually won by a youngster who yelled "car."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last year they had Beyonce for the halftime show. I thought Bruno Mars was very good (the kid sings, writes his own songs, dances and plays a variety of musical instruments, but I did prefer looking at Beyonce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sioux,
    The video runs like a bad infomercial. "Tired of trying to eat your fill of self-proclaimed chunky soup? Tired of people around you screaming 'SHHHH!' as you slurp your main course? Tired of holding up that pinky? Tired of dribbles down your chin? Stop the insanity! No more mmm…mmm…good. It's time for YUM YUM FILLING!

    Try Val Thevictorian's Towering Vegetable Beef Soup! The only soup you can eat with a fork. Even a plastic takeout fork missing a couple of teeth. Look for our package on the prepared soup aisle, in the tall, Pringles-like container. No bowl necessary. Upend it on a paper plate, and you're good to go. Val Thevictorian's Towering Vegetable Beef Soup. It stands above the competitors!"

    *****
    joeh,
    Marching band? The Rockettes can kick to that!

    *****
    knancy,
    Cheer up. The Olympics are fast approaching on the horizon.

    *****
    Linda,
    I don't know. Perhaps the Millennials now control the advertising industry. Of course they roll in around 11:00 a.m., grab a handful of free candies, lay down on the employees' lounge couch for a nap, check their texts, spout out some ideas, and head home early to miss the evening rush. They know everybody's going to win an award anyway.

    Yeah. I think we've found the problem.

    *****
    Leenie,
    The commercials did seem to be car-heavy. Was that guy driving a bull across country advertising trucks? Because at first I thought it was about an internet dating site.

    ******
    Stephen,
    Well, seeing as how I do not listen to music any newer than the 1980s, it's no wonder I did not recognize Mr. Mars. In fact, I thought he looked like that Dominic guy who was on Big Brother several years ago. This guy:

    http://bigbrothersspoilers.com/big-brother-13-house-guest-reveal/dominic-briones/

    I yearn for the days of Tom Petty's 2008 Bowl appearance, and 2001 with Aerosmith and Nelly. Okay. Nelly is newer than the '80s. But he's local. I think they even had the not-so-cray Britney Spears that year to keep the guys entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just coming out of my week of the narcotic haze and was unaware of a super bowl game! I only watch for the ads and it was automatically DVR'd , so I can watch them at my leisure, skipping the game. He Who Tows was on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy,
    Good luck figuring out what they're advertising. I think you WILL enjoy the Doberhuahua. Not that it will make you want one, if such a critter exists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read your last three posts and you do have a way with words! You're a riot. Your mother sounds like a hoot too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lynn,
    Better to be a riot than to cause rioting, I suppose. I used to think that I say what other people are thinking, but are too polite to say. However...I'm starting to believe that I'm sometimes only a few words away from a good tarring and feathering, with a ride out of town on a rail provided by a mob with flaming torches.

    ReplyDelete