Wednesday, May 29, 2024

If It Weren't for Bad Luck, The Pony and Val Would Have No Luck at All

The Universe keeps dealing less-than-winning hands to The Pony and Val. I've had a fairly long streak of not-winning lately. I still win a little back, but no major prizes since I cashed in my two $1000 winners a few months ago. It's almost as if The Universe is holding that against me! Telling Even Steven that I need an evening period for my winnings.

Poor Pony. He volunteered to work on Memorial Day, delivering packages only. Yet when he went to work on Tuesday as scheduled, he encountered difficulties.

"Someone lost my truck's keys. So I'm in a crappy one without AC today."

Temps in the low 80s. Uncomfortable for someone walking in the sun, delivering the mail. But wait. It got worse, less than an hour later.

"Aaaand the loaned one just died."

Meanwhile, Val was experiencing her own bad luck, though in a cooler environment. My scratchers were very LOSE-y. Only 19 percent back in winnings, when the usual is 40 percent, minimum. 

But wait! To add insult to injury, Hick bought one of the new $5 scratchers that came out on Tuesday. He tossed it on the kitchen table amongst my losers, and asked me to scratch if for him. Who does that!!! The fun is in the scratching! Anyhoo... Hick figures that since I usually have better luck than him, I should do the scratching. Hick won $10 on his $5 ticket. That's 200 percent!

Eventually... the odds will even out. Right? Even Steven? Anybody?

10 comments:

  1. You are next for a big winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thecontemplativecat here. It takes so little to make one happy sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Just having a work vehicle with air conditioning, that won't leave you stranded during the day. And winning more than Hick on a scratcher ticket.

      Delete
  3. Pony MUST be thinking the life of a Chemical Engineer would be easier. Unless he had to check for fumes in a laboratory spill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony is internetly looking for such a job, but also has a different USPS job on the back burner. Since it's only a couple blocks from his house, and would pay the bills, with job security and benefits.

      The longer the gap from college to employment, a Chemical Engineering job might be difficult to obtain. The pandemic really messed with The Pony's future. Sent home in March 2020, didn't even get a "real" graduation ceremony in May from OU (University of Oklahoma).

      Delete
  4. Even Steven hasn't been hanging out around these parts either. I wonder if those keys were really "lost" or if the person who drove it kept them so he could drive it again on his next shift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sometimes keys have a way of being "lost" so that others may usurp a better vehicle than the one assigned to their route!

      Delete
  5. I know how you feel lately! The truck had to be pulled out by AAA. The driver was not inclined to take advice from the old geezer who got his truck stuck and failed to pull it straight out, instead he went sideways and tore the asphalt up and ruined the tire .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like when Hick put his truck in a ditch on the day I was getting released from the hospital after my pneumonia 3-day stay. The AAA driver let SilverRedO slide back into a tree, causing damage that was not there after the initial ditching.

      Delete