Friday, June 9, 2023

Hick Brushes Off Val's Help

When I got home from town on Wednesday afternoon, a surprise awaited me on the porch. It was a paintbrush lying on the side porch, with damp spots around it. Huh. Hick has not been painting anything, nor staining. I recalled that he uses a paintbrush to apply BBQ sauce when he grills. I wash that paintbrush, and it's not as big as the one I saw on the porch. Still, perhaps Hick has been holding out on me. Or maybe he uses a different brush to clean off the grill before putting on the meat.

As I was pondering this find, my little Jack went over and started licking the paintbrush. I know Jack is not big enough to get up on Gassy G Jr and steal a brush. So maybe Copper Jack snatched it, and my Jack bullied it from him.

Anyhoo... I picked up the paintbrush and put it on top of Gassy G Jr, planning to tell Hick, and make sure he didn't use it without me washing it first. Jack looked forlorn when I took away his lick-toy.


Of course Hick walked by this brush twice. Once coming into the house, and again after going out to fetch some of his Diet Mountain Dew from T-Hoe's rear. You'd think something out of place would catch his eye. Then again, Hick's eye on that side is blind. So maybe he has an excuse.

Anyhoo... when I told him about the brush, Hick said,

"That can't be mine. I always bring it in for you to wash. Might belong to Neighbor. Them dogs is always going over there."

"Well, if that's where it came from, I'm sure OUR Jack is the one who took it. Copper Jack hasn't bothered anything here that I know of. And I doubt he brought his own BBQ brush over here to put on our porch. He stays off the porch, because Jack and Juno would chase him when they caught him up here."

I'm pretty sure nobody wants that brush back. I'd just give it to Jack, but I'm also pretty sure he'd eat the whole thing. He's a chewer.

6 comments:

  1. Hope it doesn't have paint thinner on it or soemthing other than food product.
    Unable to post on my blog again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm assuming it has food residue, since Jack was so interested in licking the brush part, and not gnawing on the handle. Sorry your blog is playing hard-to-get!

      Delete
  2. I would throw it away too, you don't want Jack getting a bellyfull of indigestible bristles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Once Jack starts chewing, he rarely stops. He's been eating the resin dog figurine on the front porch for several months. Hick just goes to the door and scolds Jack when he hears him thumping around with it. I'll try to get a picture of it sometime. It's a long-term project for Jack.

      Delete
  3. Maybe Copper Jack told little Jack that there was a scavenger hunt. You know, just to play with the little guy's mind. He was probably in the woods, watching you with his doggie binoculars, laughing at your efforts to solve the mystery of the ragged paintbrush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO think Copper Jack is an instigator!

      Delete