Wednesday, June 28, 2023

News, Yet NO News, on the Double Hovel

You may recall that Hick had last talked to Random Guy, who was trying to buy the Double Hovel, on Saturday, June 17th. He had offered a purchase price lower that what we paid for it, before any of the renovations were done.

We figured that would be the last of it. We are not playing games with offers and counter-offers. Our asking price is firm. We didn't list the property, we don't need to sell.

While we were waiting for our Bandana's meal to arrive on Wednesday, June 21st, Hick's phone rang. I figured it was one of his buddies with stuff he wanted to sell. Hick is all the time driving to town to look at fishing equipment and other good-sellers. Imagine my surprise when Hick hung up and said,

"That was Random Guy, wanting to know if I could show him the house."

How conveeeeenient! NOT! We were 45 minutes from home. An hour from the Double Hovel. About to enjoy a meal with our Pittsburgh son we see once a year if we're lucky.

"I told him I could be there around 2:30 to let him look around. We should be home in time for me to get the keys and get over there."

Heh, heh. I told Hick to drive SilverRedO, not A-Cad. To look as poor as possible. I got Hick's report later that evening.

"It was two young guys, a black guy and a white guy. I think they are probably the labor. They were around 30. Seemed to know what they were talking about. I showed them the work I had done. Then we looked at the beauty shop. The one guy said, 'Looks like a tear-down to me.' I said, 'It might be. I haven't even been in here to look at it yet. It might turn out to be a garage, not an apartment. Depends on the condition of the floor, and how it looks after I clear out the beauty shop stuff.'

The one guy said that they were looking at several properties after ours. He took a lot of pictures. Said he would have to talk to his financial backer. And that we would hear from him. We'll see."

Yeah. That's how I look at it. We'll see. I didn't think they would even want to look at it, after the first (and second) offer. Maybe Random Guy will call. Maybe he won't. I don't even know if Random Guy was one of the lookers.

Meanwhile, Hick and Old Buddy finished the framing on Tuesday. Put in a closet in one of the bedrooms. Hick will be buying the drywall on Wednesday. I'll ask for some pictures, but you never know when Hick will remember.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if they were just there to let Random Guy know the condition of the houses so he could change his offer. I hope Hick stands firm and doesn't sell. You'll get a tidy profit by selling after all his work is finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Random Guy probably wasn't interested after seeing that Hick was not dickering with him on the price. Maybe he really does want the property. But of course a wise buyer will want to see the actual condition first, and calculate their expenses before making a serious offer. Few people can get a house renovated as cheaply as Hick!

      Delete
  2. Random Guy does not know who is messing with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! On this issue, I am as fierce as you!

      Delete