Monday, June 12, 2023

Val's Steel-Trap Mind is Still Snappin'

Genius sent me a picture on Saturday evening:


"This shirt feels very '70s pattern."

"Yes! Hope you're not channeling a disco lounge lizard vibe! And more of a cool disco party dude."

"Laughed at the 'disco lounge lizard vibe.'"

"I was in my prime during the disco days! I know the culture."

"Friend's is in a similar vein, but a bit less so."


"Oh my gosh! Does he have a part-time job at Shakey's Pizza? I don't remember their uniforms, but that was my first impression."

"Okay, that reference is too old for me."

"It was a pizza chain where my mom and dad took me during college visits."

"Google to the rescue..."


"I can definitely see it."

"No wonder! Almost identical! I don't have Alzheimer's yet!"

Not too shabby for Val's cognitive abilities, eh?

14 comments:

  1. I remember Shakey's Pizza places but I don't think I went more than two or three times so I didn't remember the uniform shirts. Didn't they used to have a buffet of different kinds of pizzas, spaghetti, chicken, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for the buffet, because we always ordered off the menu: ham and pineapple pizza. My dad was horrified. My mom picked off the pineapple.

      Sometimes we went to Godfather's Pizza, where I liked the salad bar, building my salad with bean sprouts instead of lettuce. The deep-dish pizza was also great. I got to take the leftovers back to the dorm, and warm it on the base of my popcorn popper. No microwaves in those days!

      Delete
  2. I haven't thought about Shakey's in a VERY long time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything old is new again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully NOT the leisure suit!

      Delete
    2. Had to look it up. That's one I didn't see around here. It reminds me of a leisure suit.

      Delete
  4. Shakey's? Real pizza comes from a place named Vinny's or Nino's...these days run by Mexicans, but still good, Vinny and Nino taught the new owners well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't recall seeing any Vinny's or Nino's in Springfield MO during the disco era. The big thing there was cashew chicken, made the "Springfield" way, with breading on the chicken. So pizza was kind of an afterthought.

      Delete
  5. Never been to a Shakey's, but can definitely see the vibe. Can I just say that you will never find those shirts in the closet of HeWho relies on me to buy his clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't even wanna know what Genius is wearing to an '80s party! Perhaps you remember the style of men's athletic shorts back then...

      Delete
    2. I do remember. Back then I was always cold and HeWho was always hot. Looking back at old Christmas photos it is not at all unusual to see our family in appropriate attire and HeWho in shorts and a T-shirt. One of the kids was looking through them and said, "Hey, Dad, Richard Simmons called and he wants his shorts back!" Not everyone will get the reference, but I know you will!

      Delete
    3. Yes, I am well-versed in Richard Simmons fashion choices!

      Delete