Monday, December 3, 2018

You Get a Line and I'll Get 95 Poles, Honey

You get a line and I'll get 95 poles, honey
You get a line and I'll get 95 poles, babe
You get a line and I'll get 95 poles and
I'll sell them to guys on the way to the fishing hole
Honey, the money, IS MINE!

At the giant storage unit lot where Hick presides over his Storage Unit Store, some guys close up shop during the winters months. December to April is a pretty slow time in the flea market world around these parts. Nobody wants to pay to hold their junk (heh, heh, 13-year-old self alert!) over the winter. They sell it all, and start fresh in the spring, without that rent hanging over their head, cutting into their overhead.

Hick made enough profit up through Thanksgiving last year and this year to pay his winter rent. He pays it three months ahead, not considering his earnings to be clear profit until he makes enough for the rent. He likes his location near the entrance, and doesn't want to move all his junk merchandise back home. Now that he has his Buy/Sell/Trade option, it's handy to meet people up at his Storage Unit Store for transactions. It's a public place, with surveillance cameras, and it makes him and the buyers feel safe from psychos and being ripped off.

Last weekend, he mentioned that one of the guys was planning to sell his whole inventory. I told Hick the last thing he needed was another storage shed full of stuff to junk up his Freight Container Garage that STILL has stuff from the original multi-unit purchase that started up his store. He kind of agreed with me, but I don't think his attitude was sincere.

Anyhoo...mid-week, Hick came home reporting that ANOTHER GUY had bought that storage locker! He felt betrayed, I guess. But don't you worry about Hick! He proudly informed me that he'd bought all the fishing poles from that stuff. Sent me a picture.


"All the fishing poles and reel's I bought" [exact wording]

Hick says he paid $100 for these poles, 35 of them having reels on them, and another 60-70 without. Looks like a nightmare to untangle to me! Hick says he sells the rods with reels for $8-10, and the rods alone for $3-4. So he plans to make money. I don't foresee that happening until spring, though! At least he has a Freight Container Garage to hoard them in.

I guess this was a good deed by Even Steven. Hick was planning to buy that guy's whole storage unit!

8 comments:

  1. Ya gotsta spend money to make money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe is right. But isn't Hick supposed to be retired, sitting all day in his recliner, calling on you to refresh his drink, bring him food, perhaps rub his feet? No, I guess not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEE! Rubbing his feet was not in the marriage vows! I hate feet!

      Delete
  3. Is fishing really that popular as a pastime? Or is it a case of "I think I'd like to go fishing, I'll buy a rod and reel." But then they never do and eventually sell the rod to people who own storage lockers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fishing IS pretty popular around here. Hick sells a lot of poles in season. He puts together tackle boxes with hooks and lures, and sells them as a package deal with the poles sometimes. I guess some people want to go fishing on the spur of the moment, and can get everything but bait from Hick.

      People may not have room to keep their fishing poles during other-than-summer months, so put them in a storage unit, then forget or deliberately don't pay their storage rent. That's how Hick comes across so many fishing poles.

      Delete
  4. I think Hick was fishing for a compliment. Yep, he'll make a profit on those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he failed to reel me in for a compliment! He'll make a profit, but not until springtime. He says other guys there sell fishing poles for $10-$12, and complain that they can't move them. I guess Hick is undercutting their business.

      Delete