Friday, December 28, 2018

The Synchronicity of Swingin' England

We left home Christmas Eve with Hick at the wheel of A-Cad, to sweave our way to town for dinner at the home of my sister the ex-mayor's wife. We were still on the county blacktop road when a discussion ensued concerning the menu.

"What are you going to eat, Pony?"

"Depends if she still has the same stuff. I really like those Vienna Sausages."

"Um. Sis doesn't serve Vienna Sausages. She has the Li'l Smokies in barbecue sauce."

"Oh. Aren't they the same thing? I'm sure they are."

"NO! They're totally different. The Li'l Smokies are smoked sausages, made of beef, mainly. And Vienna Sausages come in a can, packed in that jelly kind of stuff, and are made of pork and chicken and fat."

"Well. I'm pretty sure they're really the same thing. Listen to YOU, Miss I Didn't Know England Was An Island!"

"It's well known that my geography knowledge is lacking. But I DO know one thing...England swings like a pendulum do!"

"Heh, heh. I'm pretty sure that's LONDON!"

"Nope! It used to be one of your favorite songs when it came on the radio. Over by the park, on the way to school! I haven't heard it in a long time. I think it was during the summer. It made me think of you."

Even Hick backed me up on both arguments. A rare occasion. If I'd had the calendar I knew Ex-Mayor was giving us, I would have marked it.

We were barely five more minutes into our trip when Hick turned up the volume on the radio. "There's your song."

Seriously! It was "England Swings," playing right there on Willie's Roadhouse, sung by Roger Miller.

What are the odds of THAT?

In fact, that's what I said, turning to look at The Pony. "What are the odds of THAT?"

"Heh, heh. I guess the car is listening to us again."

"It's not the CAR! It's OnStar! One of these days you'll believe me!"

I don't think that's what made the song play right after we were talking about it, though. Even I can't conspiratorily, egotistically think that SiriusXM changed the playlist on Willie's Roadhouse just for our discussion.

It's just one of those weird coincidences, letting you know your life is on the right track, I guess.

8 comments:

  1. I love how he rhymes Big Ben with rosey red cheeks of the little children.

    Wait...ENGLAND IS AN ISLAND?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the mama's old pajamas part. I have it on good authority that England IS an island, and NOT located on the coast between Germany and France! Believe you me, I was SHOCKED! My 9th grade football-coaching geography teacher let me down!

      Delete
  2. I love that song and now I'm wondering why I don't have it on any of my playlists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that song! I remember when my son discovered the Beatles and was astounded that I knew the songs he was suddenly playing non-stop. That is how our Collie got his name. We always called him Sarge, but his name was Sargent Pepper. Only used when he did something he was not supposed to do. Rare, since he was such a good dog. Oscar, on the other hand most surely thought his middle name was Dammit! He heard that several times a day, every day of his life. I miss them both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...your good memories of your good (and maybe not-so-good) dogs!

      Juno was named by the boys, who were into mythology at the time. Jack just looked like a Jack.

      Delete
  4. I just checked with The Mighty All-Knowing Google and he says 71 percent of the Earth's surface is water-covered. Which I would interpret to mean that all land masses on our globe are islands. Where is Dr. Science when you need him to confirm this theory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew about the water percentage, because it is sciency information, and that was my business! Geography was not. I can accept your total-island theory, but I'm not ready to start hollowing out a tree to make myself a canoe.

      Delete