Tuesday, May 29, 2018

New Info On a Subject That Was Tabled

After much nagging coaxing, Hick has provided us a full picture of the table some of you were curious about, from the background of the grandfather clock photo.


It is indeed a pretty little table, but in rough shape. It appears to be real wood. I thought it was unique, but when I quizzed Hick on the specs, he revealed that this table is really not so special.

"Oh, THAT table? I had two just like it that I bought at the auction for $7. Then I sold them to my buddy up at the storage units for $20. So I made $13 off them! They were in way better shape than this one."

"Yeah...but some people distress them on purpose."

"That's what HE does! He'll make money off them when he sells them. This one was in my storage unit. So it didn't really cost me nothin'. [I think he's forgetting that he bought the storage unit]. I figure I can get $10 out of it."

There must be some way to rough up this table more, or sand it down to be pretty. I'm going to believe Hick when he says he can get $10 for it, because I like its design.

Hick says furniture doesn't sell well at all. But Monday afternoon, he met a lady up at his Storage Unit Store to sell her a 21-quart pressure cooker that he'd listed on the local Buy/Sell/Trade. PLUS, he talked her into some mason jars. She's a canner.

I warned Hick, during his scheming to load up some mason jars and just happen to have them sitting there when she bought the pressure cooker..."She might not have the money. This IS a holiday weekend. It might not be easy to get cash. The ATMs run out."

Good news is, that lady paid Hick $100 for the pressure cooker. She wanted the mason jars, for which he was asking $20, but she said, "Oh, I don't think I have enough money on me!" After digging through her purse and counting out change, she came up with $17.

Hick took it. A sale is a sale.

12 comments:

  1. Hick is a shrewd businessman, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick knows a little about a lot of things, and he has contacts in assorted professions. So he's doing better-than okay.

      Delete
  2. Hey Jono, don't forget: he was smooth and shrewd enough to snag Val...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! I'm the best bargain Hick ever got.

      Delete
  3. Hick may be too nice to bargain for top dollar but he probably sleeps well at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick has few, if any, regrets.

      Delete
    2. As much as I read complaints, I suspect I might like Hick as much as you would probably like Mrs. C...but that can be our little secret.

      Delete
  4. It's a very pretty little table. it is little? It doesn't look like dining table size. I think it would look beautiful sanded back to the original wood then stained and polished, placed in a corner with a Tiffany lamp on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's end-table or coffee-table size. It WOULD look good with a lamp!

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty table--someone will want it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I really like the little pointy decorative things around the top edge. Somebody crafty could make that table beautiful again.

      Delete
  6. If I lived closer, that table would be mine.

    ReplyDelete