Thursday, January 25, 2018

Hopefully, One Woman's Toys are NOT Another Man's Treasures

Hick has been hard at work with his Storage Unit Empire. I smelled smoke a few minutes ago, and sent him a text to see if he'd set our grounds on fire. Like that time he decided to burn off the dead grass during the winter, and the fire line headed toward our cedar-sided house, the cats and dogs waiting patiently for mice to shoot out of the smoke. Today he replied, "No. I'm burning, but only my pile is on fire." I guess he cleaned out a lot of non-treasures.

Yesterday, while I was at the table enjoying our bargain lunch with my favorite gambling aunt, Hick sent me a cryptic text.

"I started cleaning the one I knew was going to be the worst one whole truckload of junk and probably one more this afternoon found a couple of interesting things I'll tell you later about."

Huh. Don't know why he made me wait. Not that the suspense was killing me. Later he said, "This one must have belonged to a woman. I found about 50 movie DVDs. And a bunch of her panties. And...toys. She apparently really liked her toys!"

EEWWW!

"Please tell me you threw them away!" I can never be sure with Hick. He's fascinated by the most unsavory things sometimes. And he didn't answer right away. So I kept repeating it. This made me think it was like when he stalls during an argument. I KNOW that he's lying. And he finally said that yes, he threw them away. YUCK! I felt like I needed a shower just hearing that tale.

Anyhoo...today he sent me two more pictures.


This one looks kind of trashy. Maybe that explains the smoke I smelled wafting through the concrete walls of my dark basement lair. Zooming in, I see some things that might be promising in this one. Is that red thingy a tool cart? And a shop vac, maybe? I kind of like the magazine rack, even with a broken handle. Surely my Sweet Baboo knows how to repair such things. Somebody wasn't taking very good care of that guitar! The upside-down end table is a bit gaudy for my tastes, though. Oh, no! I see LADY SHOES! Great big lady shoes! Maybe this is the one with the toys. And maybe it wasn't a lady at all! I think I'd be wearing gloves if I was handling this stuff.

The other picture is of treasures already loaded into Hick's truck. You'd think he could follow a simple instruction, right? And take a picture of each shed before he digs into it? Just to show all of you, who might like to play along like you're on one of those "reality" shows. Like, would you bid on that shed, or not? And then I could tell you what was inside.


Hick says these cardboard-barrel-looking containers are FULL OF HOT WHEELS CARS! Still in the packages! Of course. Who would have that many loose Hot Wheels cars? Hick is planning to sort them (another time-consuming chore!) into bundles of five cars, and sell them at the auction like he's seen other guys do. Somebody will want ONE of them, and buy them to get that one.

I hope Hick takes a shower when he comes in. He said one unit was full of mostly old food stuff. And mouse turds.

12 comments:

  1. I always figured most of those units get picked over before the owner stops paying the monthly fee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure the actual owner of the storage unit business looks through it after the first payment is missed, and takes anything good before selling it after several payments are missed.

      Delete
  2. I have the name of your hubby's new show.

    Hick the Picker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a fitting name for our proposed reality show!

      Delete
  3. That shed does look trashy, but the tool cart looks good enough to clean up and keep and I see a nice white, gold-edged light shade in the upper right corner. I searched almost five minutes before I saw the magazine rack. I would have liked to see all those matchbox cars, I'm guessing they were someone's treasured collection once upon a time. I'll never understand people who can't store things neatly instead of just tossing it all in there. You should see my shed. I have shelves and crates with labels to say what's in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe Hick will get me a picture of the inside of one of those Hot Wheels barrels. I do see that lampshade now. I hadn't noticed it before.

      I saw the thing on the back left, that LOOKS like a lamp, with the Flying Nun and a wolf on it!

      Hick had to go buy shelves to put in his Freight Container Garage to store this stuff, and more to put in his Storage Unit Store to display it for selling. That's from HIS money, though!

      Delete
    2. I had to buy my own shelves and crates too. Before I got this shed it was filled with dusty and disintegrating catalogues that were supposed to have been delivered to people's mailboxes. Years and years worth. The person collected the money for delivering, but never did the job.

      Delete
    3. I hate it when that happens!

      Delete
  4. Hick should do really well with those hot wheels, a lot of people seriously collect them and would go nuts over a find like this, selling them in lots of five is a good idea, especially if he researches them a little and sorts them well.

    Large lady shoes, large amounts of lady toys, and Hick picking through all of this persons stuff, I'd watch out for a big woman or either a man dressed as one to come swinging a big purse...also I'd be wearing gloves for sure.

    I like Sioux's idea, "Hick the Picker" has a nice ring to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but now that Hick is retired, he can't use company time and computer for research! I offered him Shiba, my laptop, and he snarled, "I can't use a LAPTOP, Val! It's not a computer!"

      Further investigation revealed that..."I'm a one-fingered typer, Val. I can't use the keys on that thing, and use that pad thing!" Even though I had a mouse right there to hook up. Apparently, Hick's fingers are so fat that they cannot operate a laptop keyboard. Funny how he manages to text on a tiny phone...

      Heh, heh! First thing I thought of was a man wearing those shoes. Hick says they are "normal woman size."

      Delete
  5. Big shoes and mouse turds ...... Do not try those shoes on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...I guess that's better than big turds and mouse shoes! Which I would not try on, either.

      Delete