Friday, August 5, 2016

Back-of-the-Book Blurb Friday #20: The Elephant in the Viewing Room

Blog buddy Sioux is hosting Back-of-the-Book-Blurb Friday. I have 150 words to entice you to fake-buy my fake book. This week's effort may or may not be loosely based on Li'l Val's misspent childhood. A childhood misspent in front of a black-and-white TV in the living room of a 50-foot house trailer parked on the lot next to her grandma and grandpa's house.

Thank goodness those Tornado Alley twisters spared Li'l Val so she could fulfill a higher purpose: fake-writing fake books. Get 'em while they're hot! And this is her 19th one! Okay, so Val skipped a week. Who ya gonna call?




The Elephant in the Viewing Room

Samson had not meant to shuck Chuckles the Clown to death. He was, after all, dressed as a peanut. It was an honest mistake. Now Samson is here to pay his respects. But Samson can't believe what he's hearing. This newsroom crew is making a mockery of Chuckles's life. And death. Mainly death.

That Mary gal is NOT turning on Samson with her smile. Not making his day seem all that worthwhile. He was mortified when Mary laughed. LAUGHED at a funeral! That Mary gal has spunk. Samson hates spunk. He makes a solemn vow to thwart every effort exerted by that Mary gal to make it after all. He'll start with that hat she tries to toss insouciantly into the cold Minneapolis air.

What other tricks does Samson have up his trunk? (133 words)

__________________________________________________________________________

Fake Reviews for Val’s Fake Book

Mary Richards…Ohhhh, Mrs. Thevictorian! Do you have to fake-write me as the villain?” 

Lou GrantThis fake book won't amount to much. And that's not even news. If Thevictorian was a man, I'd pay more for it. Now get out of my way, so I can have a shot of desk whiskey.” 

Rhoda Morgenstern…”I haven't fake-read it yet. But I'm going to put it in a window display down at Hempel's.” 

Phyllis Lindstrom…”Even Lars says this fake book will never make enough money for Val to rent a studio apartment in my rooming house.” 

Ted Baxter…”It all started in a 500,000-word Word document in a basement in Backroads, Missouri. And it should have stayed right there."

Murray Slaughter…”I write for a living. And I'm pretty sure Thevictorian never will. Not even news copy for an idiot."
  
Gordy Howard…”The saying is that lightning never strikes twice in the same place. As a meteorologist, I know that it does. And I hope it hits this fake book more than once!” 

Henry Winkler as Rhoda's date at Mary's dinner party…”I got more respect sitting at the little table eating a half-plate of food than Thevictorian should get for fake-penning this fake tome.” 

Sue Ann Nivens…”Mary's dinner parties are more successful than this fake book will ever be. Or my name is not the future Mrs. Lou Grant!"

That Guy at the Newsroom Desk, in the Background Behind Mary and Murray…”I have no words for this fake book."

10 comments:

  1. It's you, Val, and you should know it. With each word and every little line you show it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love is all around. No need to waste it. Never can tell...I might just take it.

      Delete
  2. Sing a little song, do a little dance, squirt a little seltzer all over Val's book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I don't know whether to get down tonight, or slap some grease paint on my face and dress up as a peanut for a parade.

      Delete
  3. I know few people with more spunk than our Val!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But...some people HATE spunk! Couldn't you change that review to say that my fake book is "breathtaking?"

      Delete
  4. You book sounds like it would be full of twists and turns for Mary and ones the reader would not want to stop reading so as to read the next thrill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I really just dash through my fake book to get to the fake reviews!

      Any true fan of Mary would want to see how she is thwarted. By somebody or something other than her landlady Phyllis.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I try to share and read your words to HeWho mows. He just looks at me like I am insane. God bless the simpletons among us. I mean, he did ask what I was laughing about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I AM kind of crazy. So that's why your vocalization of my content makes HeWho give you that look.

      Delete