Sunday, May 22, 2016

Like Hick, Like Pony

Hick has been up to his old tricks again. Dashing out after supper, saying he's going to Goodwill. I don't know why that man needs so many tchotchkes. They're not even INDOOR tchotchkes! Here's what he showed up with most recently.


As in keeping with his signature style in picture composition...Hick made sure to get LOTS of background, and made the subject of his photo appear in the center, very tiny in comparison. Let's not forget those pictures of The Pony on the campus of the University of Oklahoma.

Hick announced his latest purchase by asking me, "Did you like our new dog?" He did this on purpose, you see, because earlier in the day, he had been talking about a 5-month old Husky that was being given away on Facebook. I distinctly remember, because I told him that would be his chickens' funeral if he brought home such a spirited fleabag. Hick further goaded me to "look out on the porch" to see the new dog. I was growing apprehensive. But then I saw the fake Fido.

Don't mind the chewed-up framing of the front door. Poor dumb (now-disappeared) Ann was the nervous sort, and liked to nibble. We have matching porch posts and porch-step rails.

So...a few days later, while I was still working (!) and The Pony was enjoying his graduated self, he let Puppy Jack out to play. The Pony ran to the porch to sit in the rocking chair, and Jack heaved his long little body up the steps. The Pony is not one to let a photo opportunity go to waste. When I called him to say I was on the way home, and see if he wanted anything from the gas station chicken store, he said

"I have the best picture of Jack! You're not going to believe how cute it it!"


Yes. The Pony inherited his father's photography skills.

No DNA test necessary.

As a bonus, I present, "Pony Selfie With Puppy Jack, Turkey in Background."


I'm sure The Pony only regrets that his arm was not longer.

12 comments:

  1. Hick (& therefore The Pony) probably can't trace his family's roots back to Ansel Adams!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! Or maybe they CAN, what with the landscape being the most prominent feature in their photos.

      Delete
  2. Well it is a really cute picture.

    The fake dog reminds me of the Sex and the City episode with the cardboard baby. Yes, I am a little bit gay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to take a not-cute picture with a puppy in it.

      You must be a little bit gayer than me (not that there's anything wrong with that), because I have never watched one episode of Sex and the City.

      Delete
  3. The headless dog whisperer. That is a cute puppy meets puppy pic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pony knows that I have a no-faces allowed policy on pictures of family that appear on my blog.

      The Pony reports that after Jack got a good look at the fake Fido, he backed up and barked. In his little yippy puppy voice.

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that picture of the two furry sweeties on the porch together face to face :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we had a closeup of one or the other!

      Delete
  5. Hick and The Pony clearly consider context and perspective to be of the utmost importance - possibly a gendre of photography that is yet to catch on ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew they might actually be trendsetters?

      Delete
  6. I am smitten! Jack is so cute. I bought a mirror years ago and sat it on the floor in the hall. Oscar and Emmy were behind the gate at the other end of the hall barking at their images in the mirror. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you wouldn't be able to resist his long little body. You must be a glutton for punishment, putting that mirror where your fur babies could see themselves!

      Delete