Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Hick is Like a Box of Chocolates

No, I'm not saying Hick is sweet. I'm saying you never know what you're going to get. Hick goes from one predicament to another, with barely enough time for me to catch my breath.

Sunday, The Pony and I left to do the shopping, with Hick in the front yard talking to HOS (Hick's Oldest Son) and HOS's seven-year-old son. When we returned, there was no sign of any of them. That's not unusual. We set to putting away the groceries. No sooner had we begun than The Pony's phone rang.

"Oh. Okay. I'll be there in a minute." Heavy sigh. "Dad has the Gator stuck in the creek, and wants me to come get him out."

"How are you going to do that?"

"I have to bring him back to get the tractor." The Pony grabbed his keys and left. Darn that Hick all to heck, leaving me to do my own chores while he stole my helper! Hick has an incredible sense of timing. On Mother's Day, even! You'd think a woman could at least have her own son help HER on Mother's Day, and not run off to save his father from his latest error in judgment.

As soon as I finished putting away the last item, The Pony returned. Obviously having inherited his father's sense of timing.

"Dad already had it out by the time I got there."

Of course I had to rub it in to Hick when he got back to the house.

"I can't believe you stole The Pony away from me! I remember the days when you could actually WALK back to the house from the creek. You could have got the tractor yourself."

"Val. I wasn't down by the cabin. I was at the low water bridge getting sand for my sidewalk." That's out on the county road, about two miles from the homestead.

Never mind.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, is two miles too far to walk for a wife on Mother's Day?

    I think not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What would you blog about without Hick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!!

      Delete
    2. Basically, how the universe conspires against me. Rather than how Hick conspires against me.

      Delete
  3. Oh I forgot to ask: What kind of chocolate would Hick be, in that variety box of candy? The gummy "jelly" kind? The kind with nuts and nougat? The kind with caramel? What would Hick be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick would be the solid chocolate messenger boy in the Whitman Sampler.

      https://i2.wp.com/img.photobucket.com/albums/v320/Vexorg/Sledgehammer/Whitmans%20Sampler/MessengerBoy.jpg

      That's because he's solid and basic. Not fruity. Nothing fancy. Not too sweet.

      Delete
  4. There's always something going on in your neck of the woods. Love the chocolate candy analogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. It's fairly active as woods go. Hick is no fancy designer chocolate, but he's at least a Frankford Easter Bunny.

      Delete
  5. I think the antics of Hick deserve a book all by themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. He's one of a kind. But a book of only Hick's antics would make Val seem mean-spirited. Which, believe it or not, she isn't.

      Delete