Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Hunter-Gatherer Excels

Hick and I headed to school this evening for different reasons. He went to see The Pony play on his Smartypants team, and I went to put things in order after an absence today. I tried to haul my work to the room to listen, but we were late, coming from a funeral service, and the match was already in progress.

Unlike years past, the contestants were not set up around the teacher desk, backs to the door, leaving room for a small audience to enter and spectate. They were facing the door. Like a semi-circle of tooth-gnashing wolves, a sight a bit off-putting, if not downright pants-wetting. An adult man and woman (as opposed to infant man and woman, I suppose, after writing that and not wanting to back up and erase it) sat on the floor of the hall, backs against the painted concrete-block wall. It appeared that they had abandoned all hope, they who had not entered there. A few sets of parents could be observed, gloating along a wall behind the contestants. They must have camped out overnight for those spots.

I started back to my room, and passed Hick, who had just arrived from a stop by his doctor's office for a shot. "They've already started. I'm not dealing with it. I've go work to do."

Hick the big dumb doofus brave warrior opened the unlocked door and entered between quarters as substitutes were switched out. When that match was over, he headed to my classroom to await the start of the next round. Having not partaken of our nighttime repast, both Hick and I were feeling a mite peckish. He headed off to seek a machine soda while I remained 44-oz.-Diet-Cokeless.

"Hey, you can go in the teacher workroom. There's a snack machine. And while you're at it, bring me a little pack of that Sweet and Salty Mix. I think it's D4." That stuff is tasty, full of sunflower seeds, peanuts, raisins, and generic blank M&Ms. Off Hick went, a modern-day hunter-gatherer, in no danger of being gored by a vending machine while plying it with bills.

The Pony came charging through the door. "We won! By a lot. 270 to 60. I only played three quarters, and I scored 110 points. Here. Dad said to bring these to you."

"Wait! Why are there two bags? I only wanted one. I gave him a dollar. I know he didn't spend his own money on me."

"One was stuck. So when he put in money, two came out. Here. I've gotta get back."

Yes. My sweet baboo brought home the bacon x 2. Well...he SENT home the bacon x 2. That's a good quality in a mate.

5 comments:

  1. I think it is all in how you bang the side of the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That means someone got the shaft...They put in their money and got nothing, while today was your lucky day.

    It makes me think of the time someone was at a mechanic's shop? A car sales lot? And SOMEONE got their candy bar after it got stuck. He found the culprit, but the bar had already been eaten.

    I wonder if you'll be stalked by the shaftee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you start referring to Hick as your sweet baboo ... well, I can only imagine what you'd say/do if he'd brought you a 44 ounce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once put a buck into a machine and received two condoms instead of one. I think I still have that extra one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joeh,
    What? Hick was banging the machine? Now you've brought scandal upon the heretofore pristine Thevictorian household!

    ******
    Sioux,
    Someone got the shaft? You present that revelation as if Val might care about the misfortune of another person who is NOT HER.

    Stalked? I should think not. The shaftee might as well attend a soiree of elderly women, and eat an eclair out of the wastebasket, one bite gone, still on the doily. It's much more filling than a candy bar. The only time he'll need a candy bar is at a newspaper stand, trying to get change for a $100 bill.

    *****
    Linda,
    First he's got some 'splainin' to do about that vending machine.

    *****
    Stephen,
    It's a good thing. You need some kind of protection around here, what with all the talk of banging, shaft/shaftee, and imagined favors.

    ReplyDelete