Friday, January 24, 2014

Spring Has Sprung

No, sillies! I'm not talking about the weather. It's colder than Val's heart on a cruise to Antarctica in July! Get it? Because the seasons are reversed in the southern hemisphere, by cracky! Sometimes I simply outdo myself spreading scientific knowledge throughout the blogosphere. Sure, go on, act like you already got my reference. It's okay. I'll emphasize it to my fellow Backroadsians who are rocking in front of the cast-iron stove down at Drucker's General Store, whittling corncob pipes, taking a break every now and then to play some checkers, or dip a giant pickle out of the barrel.

Spring has sprung! That dastardly giant spring that used to raise the garage door every time T-Hoe's clicker said, "Open Sesame." Now it only raises the garage door one panel. That is not quite enough to let T-Hoe through. A cat, perhaps. But not the fat tuxedo cat doing very little to escape the advances of the beagle.

I thought I had hit the clicker twice. That makes the door stop, and go back down. But this one stuck. When I clicked again, it closed. Another click, it went up one panel. I must have sat there on my heated seat trying that about 20 times. Hope springs eternal, you know. But my spring was sprung.

I saw the extent of the carnage when I walked all the way around the garage to go in through the people door, and saw that giant spring in two parts. As you might recall, we just replaced that spring on Hick's garage door this summer. So now, during the cold snap, my spring snapped. When Hick got home, he wrestled with that wily coil, and managed to open my garage door all the way, manually. Now we have to leave it open. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having a garage, turning it into a drafty carport. The onus falls on Val to drag the twisty traitor to the garage door store to seek a fabricated replacement.

Our infrastructure is failing fast.

6 comments:

  1. Can't wait for you to spring the story of this adventure on us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madame Dufarge chronicled the crumbling with her knitting. I guess you're doing it with your keyboard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, by all means take the broken part to show the parts guy at the parts store what kind of part is broken so he can sell you, at an inflated ridiculous price, a new replacement part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew someone who was standing beside one of the garage springs when it snapped and they nearly lost an arm. So glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. knancy,
    No springing yet. Can you believe that Garage Springs R Us couldn't make me a replacement over the phone? I guess I need one of those newfangled 3D printers and some molten steel so I can make one for myself.

    *******
    joeh,
    Yeah. Now that the temperature has risen above freezing, the springs decide to revolt.

    ******
    Sioux,
    I'm not sure if you're calling me a doofus, or large...but you shall rue the day, Madam, when a tale of my city crashes through your front picture window wrapped around a rock. I plan to launch it with a large garage door spring. As soon as I can procure one.

    ******
    Leenie,
    You don't think I'd pay an inflated ridiculous price for a part that is not a replica of my broken one, do you? I must take the bad to get the goods. Of course, Hick is refusing to remove the pieces, saying it will take 30-45 minutes. He has patched it, he says, with what I can only imagine to be duct tape, auto body putty, old twine from hay bales, and elbow grease.

    *******
    Stephen,
    I was on the outside, trying to look in, when it happened. Comfortably ensconced in my T-Hoe, behind safety glass and, of course, a garage door. At first I was worried that I had mangled a cat. They do SO love to hop up in the rafters using T-Hoe and the open garage door as stepping stones. I pictured one hearing the door start to open, and taking a leap onto the moving platform in preparation for thudding onto T-Hoe's roof as we pulled in.

    All cats are safe. Even that tuxedo fellow. The beagle will be relieved.

    ReplyDelete