Saturday, October 5, 2024

Enquiring Mouths Want To Know

Thursday, I was in line at Country Mart behind a grandma-looking woman with a small boy and girl. The boy looked around 5, and the girl maybe 7. As Gran was scanning her card to pay, the kids waited in the front aisle at the end of the checkout. I presumed she had the duty of taking care of them until their parents were off work. It was around 4:00.

Boy paced back and forth along the contraption holding big water jugs, and the two lottery machines. Girl was mainly there to keep him from running off, I suppose. She trailed behind him a few steps. Boy was hyper in the way of a young child just released from prison school. It's hard to hold in rambunctiousness all day.

Boy peered down the short hallway, where you could see one of the managers sitting behind a desk.

Boy: "Do you live here?"

Manager: "No. I just work here."

Boy: "Huh. What do you do? You're just sitting!"

Heh, heh! That was hilarious. She chuckled, and tried to explain how she takes care of the store. Another cashier came walking along. Boy said something, and that cashier said, 
"I'm 43."

Gran said, "Here now! You don't need to be so nosy!"

Cashier: "It's okay. He just said he was five, so I told him I was 43."

Gran: "He does have a mouth on him! I thought he was asking your age."

I was quite glad to remain in the background behind Gran. No telling what question Boy might have had for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment