Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Natural Order of Succession is Being Usurped

Mass beautification is afoot in Backroads. I am not sure what occasion these efforts mark. We don't have a festival coming up. I doubt it's to impress the press which will be convening at the prison. Apparently we are about to lethally inject another convicted ne'er-do-well, because the sawhorses and orange tape that mark the press area have been in place since yesterday.

The thoroughfares of Backroads have not had this much attention lavished upon them since that headless body was found in the septic tank, and (unrelatedly) the cardboard-boxed portable meth lab was abandoned along the gravel road.

On my way to town this morning, I encountered a truck with a man-basket parked on the blacktop county road, another truck with a woodchipper parked behind it. It looked like they had recently felled a tree, because four sections of trunk were laying in the underbrush across the road. I suppose they were too big or too heavy to chip.

In a nearby town, crews had a road blocked off between the mini post office and the old library/city hall, painting thick white stopping lines by the stop signs, and also rectangular parking spaces along the road.

On the road to my mom's house, MEN WORKING signs were in place for the gray-pantsed, white-t-shirted prisoners weedeating along the right of ways. Thank goodness we have three prisons in the area to meet our landscaping needs. They are not allowed mowers. I suppose they could make a low-speed getaway like a Humpty-Dumpty-with-a-melon-head kind of guy on a Rascal. The only time they get mowers is on the prison grounds proper, when they gang-mow in a  wedge like geese in migration. Yesterday, though, a regular civilian was mowing the grounds all by his lonesome. Again, probably due to the upcoming injection.

Because the chopper/chipper combo was blocking half the road, without even the courtesy of a flagman to watch for oncoming traffic, I chose an alternate route home. Wouldn't you know it, I got behind a yellow highway department tractor with a mower that extends off to the side on a stalk. You know. It mows those slanted ditch embankments, and sometimes tree branches.

I swear. The Backroads foliage is being trimmed closer than a pr0n performer's privates. Not that Val knows anything about such grooming techniques. She's an avid reader, you see, and keeps up with current pop culture.

7 comments:

  1. PrOn performers have Army personnel assigned to help them? I never knew that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I have to Google that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, I think I get it. I even get Sioux's pun.

    I'm a little slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. But isn't it great that the county, or whoever, is giving your neck of the woods a little attention?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure do have some good material for a book... you best get on it. Especially the stories about you and your mom. (I scrolled through to try and catch up... lotion anyone?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm giving Sioux my unofficial prize for best commentor, punster and all around great blog follower. (Now do I have to threaten to lethally inject a convicted ne'er-do-well to get someone to mow my lawn?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sioux,
    Obviously, Madam, you are not as well-read as Val Thevictorian.

    joeh,
    Not sure which part you're Googling. I hope you're not Googling pr0n! My BFF Google frowns upon that. I had to put my sciency knowledge in the title. Just because...I'm sciency like that. Did you know it is futile to establish a national park to preserve a prairie? Because prairies are supposed to grow into forests, eventually. That's what succession is all about. Now enjoy the rest of your summer vacation.

    *****
    Stephen,
    It's great the my neck is getting attention. It's not great that the attention must come at the same time I make my daily trip to town. You would think I might have been consulted about my schedule.

    *****
    Lynn,
    Oh, dear. My mom told me another tale this morning, and I had forgotten about it until now. Maybe I'll get that one out in a couple of days. I would have had a great concept for a book, but that "Sh*t My Dad Says" guy beat me to it. Now it would seem like I'm copying. That's a no-no for teachers.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Sioux deserves that prize. She would especially love it if it came in the form of a crown. Then maybe she would stop tussling me over that Queen of Procrastination crown.

    As for that last part, and pardon me if it was merely rhetorical, I think you might have your phrases confused. I don't believe I've heard it in quite that form. It's more like: "Who do I have to lethally-inject around here to get my lawn mowed?"

    ReplyDelete