Friday, January 3, 2014

There Are 8 Million Stories Being Submitted in the Big City, But None of Them Are Val's

Huh. I had good intentions. Really. I thought I'd check out some writing opportunities. A contest or two, perhaps, that I'm not already working on. "Val," I told myself, "you know there's a writing conference in the big city nearby, come springtime. Not that you'd attend, of course. But they might have some kind of contest you'd like to enter. Might as well check out the entry fee and specifics."

So I listened to myself, and hollered for my BFF Google. Hmpf! Seems that ol' Val has been shunned. Sidelined. Refused entry. Pointedly omitted. I found the conference website all right. But every time I tried to open a link for submissions, or membership info, or just the home page in general, I was denied. Sometimes with a page saying that no such website exists. And sometimes with an Error 403. Access denied! Forbidden! Of course I was sure it was just me. Because everything is all about Val. I tried to remedy the situation. Maybe it WAS me. Not them. Perhaps I was configured wrong. eHow knows a lot, doesn't it?

Well. After going through those five steps, I got to the page to fix it, and found that the problem I needed to fix did not exist. I called for my temporary resident computer expert. I'll think of him as HeHow. He said the problem was NOT me. It was them. That the linky was not stinky, but most likely correct, with the page itself having some error that needed fixing by an administrator.

Don't that just beat all?

Even Steven doesn't have to slap me in the face with karma until I see the light. I will put my efforts into other writing ventures. Like I should have this afternoon. Instead of fiddling with those dead links.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe the contest people in charge of the link heard you DO place when it comes to contests...and they want to try and change your mind about entering these competitions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can sympathize. I keep trying to find appropriate venues for my writing but so far I haven't found any takers. The hunt goes on. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HeHow ....... I like it! I give up as soon as the error thing comes up, even though I get a window that offers to find a fix for the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sioux,
    I'm sure it's a multilevel conspiracy. Back in October or November, I was all up in that website. I don't know how or why I have been barred. I just found out that The Pony can access it on his laptop by using the internet connection via his phone. I am banned by desktop and laptop. It has to be my connection. Which has changed since Genius came home.

    *****
    Stephen,
    Hey, that's a new picture of you! As far as your writing...if you keep dishing it out, somebody is going to take it. You are offering a quality product.

    I have been enabled by my blog buddy Linda to dig deeper into this contest opportunity. Now The Pony is an accomplice as well.

    *****
    Kathy,
    Yeah, somehow I got a flash of inspiration for that name. Coincidentally, I think it was right after I visited your blog...

    I was all about the tinkering process until my haughty HeHow looked down his nose and informed me: "You know I'm not going to fix anything you mess up." I told him that with the money I'll save by withholding his allowance and education for not helping in an area in which he is majoring, I can hire a crackerjack computer technician to get to the root of the problem.

    ReplyDelete