Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Attend Here

Well, ain't that a fine kettle of fish? And I'm not talking about the mystery meal one of my colleagues chowed down on at the teacher lunch table.

Just before the final bell today, in the midst of a rollicking faculty dance-off at the homecoming pep rally, several official-looking school officials wended through the crowd, passing out pieces of paper. I read one. It was a letter home, stating that our district WILL BE IN SESSION ON THURSDAY.

Yeah. I know you're shaking in horror right along with me. To add insult to the fright, the letter pointed out that other districts were already notifying media that due to the arctic, skin-freezing, Day-After-Tomorrow-like polar vortex headed our way tonight, they would not be in attendance. But we will.

That kind of takes all the fun out of potentially deadly weather.

6 comments:

  1. Stay warm my friend, you will rejoice this day in June when the one less snow day fails to diminish your summer time off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are heartless where I work too, but more so, the parents of toddlers are nuts to bring a kid out in this cold. Oh don't get me going before I have to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here I am, perched in front of the television, watching the school closings with equal parts of hope and dread. Farmington...Fort Zumwalt. Hey! They forgot one.

    I guess I am going to work today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope 2014 proves to be a good year for you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joeh says it best. Revenge will eventually be yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. joeh,
    I do enjoy my summers off. Especially when the electricity stays on to cool me, and my gas station chicken store has not suffered a water main break and can provide me with a crisp 44 oz. Diet Coke. My dark basement lair is all the more appealing when the sun beats down upstairs.

    ******
    Linda,
    At least those toddlers are being "broughten" to school. We have some kids who live in town and walk. I almost froze walking across the parking lot.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I hope you watched Channel 2. Because 4 and 5 have those closing so small that you need eight visits to The House of Charlatans Optical Delusions Emporium and Professional Prevaricators Shoppe for bifocals so you can read them.

    *******
    Jerry,
    Thank you, and right back at you!

    *****
    Stephen,
    I will make sure to serve that dish of revenge cold. In the summer. It will be delightful. For me, at least.

    ReplyDelete