Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Remember When Kids Built Snowmen in the Yard?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

Oh, wait. That was yesterday's post. But it continues. I have been out of school due to snowfall since last Thursday. Hick drove me around on Saturday, and I ventured out yesterday and today. Ten plus inches of snow, and nowhere, NOWHERE, have I spied a single snowman.

Do the kids of today not sense that a snow day is a precious playday to be cherished? Are they tiny conspiracy theorists, avoiding that Fukushima-tainted snow like the plague? Do they lay about, clicking their keyboards and think pad notebook surface gadget thingies and smart phones? One would suppose a child would get tired of that after a six-day weekend, and head out into the yard with a two lumps of coal, a carrot, a scarf, a pork-pie hat and two dead branches ripped from a neighbor's tree. But there was ne'er a snowman to be found along all the roads of Backroads. However...

We saw a giant middle finger.

Yes, a snow sculpture of rather large proportions, four knuckles and the extended middle finger as high as a normal adult's waist. It would have been taller, but some unfortunate accident had amputated that digit at the second joint.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?

As soon as this snow melts, I shall renew my lackadaisical efforts to get my proposed handbasket factory up and running. It's the least I can do to save humanity.

5 comments:

  1. When I was a kid it only snowed once in San Jose, and even though it was only a slight dusting I managed to make a snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ten inches! That might deserve a middle finger. The silver lining is you get a day away from work. I often get jealous of school teachers who get snow days off---until I remember what they deal with on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen is right. People hate teachers on snow days, unless they think about all the crapola teachers deal with on an hourly basis.

    Teachers should be lauded as saints...And paid like drug dealers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My suggestion, to be taken with a grain of rock salt: get your hiney out there and start building snow families in random places. You could be the back roads stork. Think of the possibilities as you make your deliveries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen,
    I know, right? That's what any normal kid would do. I remember back in the day when my sister the future ex-mayor's wife and I would dash outside and try to roll up a snowman butt and torso and tiny head even though blades of grass and dead leaves were still sticking up though the meager yard coverage. And we liked it!

    ****
    Eileen,
    I humbly admit that yes, I DESERVE A DAY OFF! But tomorrow is our 6th one in a row, and even I am beginning to feel guilty, and jealous of working people. We have not yet reached the critical time in late February/early March when everyone is fed up with everyone.

    *****
    Sioux,
    My best old ex-teaching buddy Mabel's mom once compared me to Mother Teresa. She did not, however, offer me any cash.

    ****
    Linda,
    With my recent experience of delivering that ice baby, this could be a new sideline for me. If only Backroads was not populated with so many roaming dogs and loaded shotguns.

    ReplyDelete