Monday, March 8, 2021

But Not For the Soul

There's something I've been keeping from you. It's Hick's fault, really, because he's the one who kept it from ME first! Hick did not just bring home (technically, have The Pony meet him and bring home) 96 more egg rolls. He also acquired 10 cans of soup.

Do we eat soup around here? Maybe two cans a year. When we're sick. Or more often if I make vegetable beef soup. But as far as eating CANNED soup, we don't. I guess we will now. Or maybe not...


Some of these cans are stacked on the three kinds of Spaghettios that we haven't eaten yet. But all the soups are fresh from the second egg roll giveaway. Not to sound like Forrest Gump's friend Bubba on his shrimp, but we have... Minestrone with Italian Sausage Soup, Jazzy Jambalaya with Chicken Sausage Soup, Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup, Sirloin Burger with Country Vegetables Soup, Potato with Bacon Soup, and five other kinds of chicken noodle soup. 

As The Pony said, "I have a good title for you: 'It Was Chicken Soup, But NOT For the SOUL!'"

Yes. That's a good one. But it would spoil the reveal. Of course you probably saw the picture along with the title anyway. So I doubt you were surprised.

Here's the catch: I checked three of the cans for expiration dates, and two were expired. This was so disheartening that I have not yet checked the rest. They are still in the box on the table.

"Hey! Your soups are expired!" Some of them, anyway."

"Oh. Well. They'll still be good."

"I don't mean JUST expired. One of them is May 2019. That's TWO YEARS!"

"It will be fine, as long as it doesn't smell."

"I know that soup is processed with so much salt that it will probably stay preserved for quite a while. But I don't think you want to eat 2-year-old soup."

"I don't know why not! I watched that show where those two men were eating stuff from the 1940s. It didn't hurt them."

"I watched it, too, and some of the stuff tasted terrible. And then there was the cereal they had to pick bugs out of..."

"This is soup. As long as it doesn't smell, it will be fine."

There is the edge of bull-headed hoarderness, and then there is the abyss...


6 comments:

  1. Toss them. Life is too short for bad soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! We don't even eat canned soup unless we're sick. But eating THESE canned soups might MAKE US SICK! Is that irony?

      Delete
  2. I think Hick may be wrong on this one. I know the Campbells Chunky soups are pretty good, I don't eat them myself, but I know people who do. But a two years expiry date is a bit much, I'd throw that one out to the dogs, but open it first. Check the rest and any within six months should be good, but not if the can has blown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll open it before throwing it out to the dogs, heh, heh! Their paws are not too good with those flip-top lids! (I know what you meant, but that made me chuckle.)

      I am NOT going to let Hick eat the soup from 2019. The one he's chosen to eat first is the Jazzy Jambalaya with Chicken Sausage Soup. It's still unexpired. I didn't tell HIM that. He might be disappointed.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like Hick and HeWho have the same thoughts on expiration dates. He would most definitely try to eat the soup IF the sodium content wasn't so high!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised they don't go out at night to dig through the dumpsters behind grocery stores! Anything for a bargain.

      Delete