Saturday, October 14, 2017

Just a Tease

I know you've all been waiting for it...


Okay. Maybe not. You almost didn't get THIS much, by cracky!

Hick's freight container garage has been an ongoing project since March or April. It was supposed to get going back then. But we had a really rainy spring here in Backroads. So the first step, the pouring of the concrete footings, couldn't be done because the ground was too mushy for the concrete truck to drive through the field.

Hick went round and round with people, trying to get this concrete poured. Something always came up. Finally, he got things lined out for September. It happened in fits and starts, with Hick chomping at the bit, ready get these freight containers over the finish line.

Anyhoo...I'll give you a pictorial soon. HOS's wife took some pictures for Hick, who said he "forgot" that I wanted some. Of course, Hick can take 20 different angles of a beer mug he got at Goodwill for a dollar, but not a single picture of a large-scale project like the construction of a garage.

I have the pictures in my email account. All I had to do was download them and put them here. You know what? I only tried ONE picture tonight, and it disappeared! Ever since Genius built me a new computer and upgraded my stuff, dealing with pictures is like trying to eat gas station chicken with both hands tied behind my back. I looked everywhere for that picture. Under today's date. Under the date she sent them to me. Under the date I thought the event took place. NOWHERE could I find that picture! I decided maybe I'd only copied, not pasted it to my pictures file. So I tried to paste again, and got a duplicate notice thingy. I scrolled all the way back through September. Nothing.

Being a bit of a backwoods, backwards, less qualified, non-calabash-pipe-smoking Sherlock Holmes...I decided to go into the properties of that picture. Well. Looks like it was taken on March 5 of 2015 at 2:40 a.m.! Seems that somebody forgot to update the clock on their camera when they got it. After that discovery, my dear Watson, the picture turned up under that date in my pictures file. I didn't even rename it yet. Now that I know where to find it, they'll all go there anyway.

Tomorrow, I'll share a little more of the visual progress.


13 comments:

  1. Perhaps you can make a presentation, with all the photos, to show for people who take the mansion tour.

    This would be better than that movie about the making of the giant croquet hoop that we call the Arch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, of course the presentation would cost extra! We could blow in some dust to simulate conditions during the build. Anyone who's ever lived on a gravel road will be pickin' up what I'm layin' down.

      I've only seen clips of the Arch build. That's scary enough for me. Not a fan of heights.

      Delete
  2. Hello from Idaho and stop in from Drifting though life. I can think of million things to with a fright container. But I would end up with more junk,
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm pretty sure our freight containers will fill up with junk. In fact, some of it had to be unloaded so the crane could lift them. So maybe there's not much more room.

      Delete
  3. Nice photo, I like seeing cranes at work. The freight containers are a great size for garages and other storage. Some people out here have bought them and converted them to live in homes, which is fine, and works out cheaper than building a home I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the container houses every now and then on Hick's shows, like Texas Flip 'n Move, and sometimes on the Tiny House shows.

      Delete
  4. So what are his plans for his newest out building? Perhaps he will make you a writer's cottage? Grandson used one for the storing of all his landscape equipment, then acquired two more. Handy dandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't Hick ever built you any buildings? Couldn't you use a few?

      Delete
    2. Hick plans to use the inside for working on his '67 Chevy pickup that he got right after The Pony was born. He wants to restore it and take it to car shows. Of course, The Pony is 19 now, and nothing has been done to the Chevy yet...so we'll see.

      The freight containers themselves are spoken for by Hick, for...wait for it...you'll never guess...STORAGE!

      Hick has never built me a building. In fact, I COULD use a few: to keep outside the house working on them!

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy you found this photo because I was puzzled about what Hick's project looked like. The freight container is a clever way to store items and use for a garage. We plan to build another garage out on our "farm" in the country to store farm machinery, but the freight container might be an idea worth pursuing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next post should give you a better vision. Hick has already used the containers themselves to park his Olds Toronado in for about a year, and his '67 Chevy.

      He said the problem was...without ventilation, his Toronado grew some mold on the dome light. However, it was safe from hail and dust and (my wrongfully-accused Puppy Jack) animals pooping on the trunk!

      Delete
  6. Wow! That's going to be quite a garage.

    ReplyDelete