Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Val IS Always Right



Told him so, told him so, told him told him told him so! That’s Val doing her “Told You So” dance for Hick. Like Grace Adler doing it for Will Truman.

Did I not try to inform Hick that CeilingReds is the debbil? I most certainly did! But no. Hick wasn’t having it. Hick, in his lovefest with the hometown Backroads CeilingReds, lauded the employees. The very employees who treated me like old parking-lot gum on the bottom of their stylish shoes as I tried to pick up some prescriptions for Hick when they first opened. Then left one out, leaving Hick to berate me as if I was a simpleton. “Val. They have never left anything out of my order. You must have forgotten to give them that one.”

Oh, how the worm has turned! The worm that has designs to play pinochle on Hick’s snout, it seems.

Hick came home late from work yesterday. He had a crinkly white bag from CeilingReds clutched in his working-man’s grease-stained hands. He went about his business in the bathroom and bedroom, putting away the meds, getting ready to feed his animals. I had his supper on the back burner, a stout pan of vegetable beef soup, the liquid part not in evidence, having been absorbed by the carrots, potatoes, beef, and pasta. Just the way Hick likes it, ready to tower above the side of the bowl, to be shoveled into his gaping maw with a serving spoon. I had also prepared garlic cheese bread for my sweet baboo. He turned down a salad. But was agreeable to a chicken strip that The Pony and I had in excess.

“I can’t believe it! She left out a prescription!”

Uh huh. Whose high-pedestaled heroes had feet of clay now?

“I’ve got to go back to town.”

“Why don’t you call first? They close at 6:00. It’s 5:45 now.”

“I’ve BEEN trying to call. And they won’t pick up. It makes more sense to drive there.”

Let the record show that a trip to town takes ten minutes. Off went Hick. Not a happy camper.

This morning I saw the other receipt he had tossed on the counter for me to deal with. The time on it was 6:03. Looks like he made them pay.

9 comments:

  1. Revenge is a dish best served with a stout pan of vegetable beef soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have switched from CeilingReds to DWT. They're a bit more competent, and they're making a habit of building new stores on the opposite corner from CeilingReds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like fast food drive throughs...you have to check the bag to see if your order is complete, or completely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val IS always right. The last laugh is yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always examine each bottle before I let him bag them to make sure I got what I ordered, but I am a little on the pushy side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our pharmacy usually calls ten minutes after we've returned from trying to pick up our items because they called to say they were ready, to inform us they're now ready.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you included a link to the "Told You So" dance. And I want to know how he got them to stay open three minutes late.

    ReplyDelete
  8. joeh,
    Yes, as long as you don't let the soup-cruncher rinse the side-sticking carrots and potatoes down the sink, thinking how much he is helping with the dishes. Because the Thevictorian kitchen is as bereft of garbage disposals as it is of dishwashers.

    *****
    Catalyst,
    Looks like the hearty-soup-loving dudes are sticking together this time.

    *****
    Sioux,
    I switched to NearMin. They text me when my refills are ready, and my bill has dropped by 75%. They're probably giving me a senior discount. The Pony got his flu shot there, and they sent him an envelope with a free five dollars of store money, and MAGNETS! I told him: "They obviously have you confused for a wage-earning driver."

    *****
    Linda,
    I always check the bag. Even at NearMin.

    *****
    Leenie,
    I might print up some T-shirts with that slogan, to sell on the counter of my proposed handbasket factory. Sorry. No cut for you. But if you drop in, I might give you a 75% discount.

    ******
    Kathy,
    They staple my bag closed before they give it to me, but I rip it open to look at it right there at the counter before I'll pay. That's because once they gave me an hand-and-foot-swelling generic in place of the brand name I must have.

    *****
    Stephen,
    LIARS! They probably snicker behind their hands as they watch you pull out of the parking lot.

    *****
    Tammy,
    According to Hick, he just drove up and walked in right at closing time, and they filled it in a hurry. Uh huh. Note-to-self: go at closing time.

    You gotta love the "Told You So" dance. C'mon. We know you did it after watching. And now you're waiting for just the right occasion to try it out.

    ReplyDelete