Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Only Two Things Come Out of Backroads: Fears and Peers



Tap tap tap. Is this thing on?

Greetings, jury of my peers. I address you tonight while still reserving the duties of judge and executioner for myself. No need to give up a power position to mere peers, when I can keep it to use for my advantage.

I stand before you to present my case. A case of good intentions that took a twisting turn. Please refrain from passing judgment until you have all the facts. On the surface, this may appear to be a case of dereliction of duty. But I shall show you otherwise. Please excuse me for a moment while I slip on a long white wig. Because I can.

All right. Get your quill pens and your parchment paper ready. I plan to show that the behavior this morning of Val Thevictorian did not violate any statutes regarding the care and instruction of high school students. Her intentions were good. The instinct to protect her charges is strong in this one. Don’t let the fact that Spiderzilla ran unchecked through her classroom sway your opinion on Mrs. Thevictorian’s fitness for teaching. Let’s begin with the pertinent information.

At approximately 10:25 a.m., Mrs. Thevictorian observed an arachnid the size of a 50-cent piece skittering across the floor, between her own desk and the second row of student desks. Mrs. Thevictorian’s first instinct was to KILL.

Having nary a vintage pump sprayer of insecticide, nor a pocketful of lizards, birds, wasps, or scorpions…Mrs. Thevictorian did what any selfless protector of empty vessels yearning to be filled with knowledge would do, and jumped into action. She grabbed a Puffs With Aloe, sprang to her feet, and took three quick strides across the brown speckled industrial tile to stomp the intruder and scoop him up while the students, in the dark, watching an instructional video on volcanism, were unawares. Only to gape in horror as that eight-legged Kennedy-head-coin-sized interloper scampered out from under the sole of her intended instrument of death and scurried right toward the closest student, who was tapping his heels with the excess energy of adolescence. The prey darted under one pistoning heel. Mrs. Thevictorian inhaled the deep beginning of a huge sigh of relief, only to watch her foe shoot back out with not a hair on one of his eight legs harmed.

Mrs. Thevictorian had two choices. She could scream, “SPIDER!” and risk injury of her charges as they leapt from their chairs, perhaps toppling them, ramming their growth plates against the bottoms (heh, heh, I said bottoms) of their desks. Or she could slink back to her desk, Puff still clutched in her hand, so as not to be noticed hovering behind the anticipated spider-squishing pupil in the dark like a stalky creeper. She chose the latter.

Spiders, after all, roam through people-populated areas all the time. It is not their modus operandi to crawl upon a human and sink their fangs into flesh. That is their defense mechanism. Spiders don’t eat humans. Humans eat spiders. At night. As they sleep with their mouths open. So the students should be fine with a spider on the loose. Right? And if it’s spotted, an outcry will arise, and Mrs. Thevictorian will have another chance to be a hero.

No harm. No foul. Everything’s right with the world. Students and spiders may occupy the same space with without issue, because they don’t occupy the same niche. They should be able to peacefully coexist. Right?

Case dismissed. Mrs. Thevictorian is free to leave.

Oh. Excuse me. You’re the jury. Do you need to retire to the conference room to deliberate?

7 comments:

  1. Some biology dude killed a South American spider the size of a puppy and brought it back to his lab. Many spider lovers are in an uproar about it. Maybe you should delete this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are guilty. No need to deliberate or be considerate when it comes to the unwarranted violence you were planning to let rain down on that poor, innocent spider.

    The most heart-wrenching passage in a book was the part in "James and the Giant Peach"--the part about Miss Spider's loved one--and the awful end of their life. Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker painted this defenseless spider onto the ceiling.

    You were almost as cruel.

    You'd better watch out. You might hear something big and golden-pink rolling down a hill towards you and if you do, you'd better run...or Thump!

    ...and you're flat as a pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, as long as that arachnid is heading away from you and not toward you, I say live and let live. This from a woman bitten by a brown recluse who developed blood poisoning...years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one who has ingested countless arachnids during comatose periods of torpidity and has continued to live a life of relative good health; I vote in your favor--students and spiders may occupy the same space with without issue as long as they both remain blissfully unaware of the fact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. joeh,
    Those spider-lovers can go hop on a unicorn and spin. If they walk through a web in the dark morning on their way to the garage to drive to their spider-loving cubicles, do they stop and rebuild their oh-so-loved spider's home and larder? I think not. I think they sputter and spit and wipe the web off their face while jumping around from one foot to the other, screaming, "OOH! ICK! PTEWEY! PTEWEY! I'VE GOT SPIDER WEB IN MY MOUTH!"

    Uh huh. I'm not deleting. Maybe they can do a search and find the post about that time a spider sat down beside me late at night in my dark basement lair, releasing a multitude of li'l spinners, which I KILLED DEAD DEAD DEAD with a tissue grasped by my spider-killing hand at the end of my meaty arm strengthened by killing wasps at 20 paces with a heavy can of liquid DEATH.

    Excuse me. Must. Wipe. Spittle. From corners of mouth.

    *****
    Sioux,
    Well ain't that just peachy! The day Val is flat as a pancake will be the day all of you need to grab one of those free umbrellas from the can in restaurant vestibules in order to keep your lovely lady mullets (and mighty man scalps) from becoming soiled with the doodoo of ten thousand flying pigs.

    I can't believe you did not catch the quote referenced in my title, Madam. You are slipping down a slippery, slippery slope of insolence, first convicting me for no wrongdoing, then threatening me with a flattening.

    You'd better sleep with your mouth closed. Unless you can unhinge your jaws and make that maw gape enough to admit a puppy.

    *****
    Linda,
    But what about the CHILDREN? It went directly into a forest of kid limbs! Unsuspecting kid limbs! And all I did was...wait. I already have a split jury. Um. Yes. I let that spider live. Val is all about forgiveness. In fact, if I was a judge, and a murderer murdered me, I would pardon that murderer...except that I wouldn't be alive to hand down the pardon. Oops!

    ******
    Leenie,
    They were! They were blissfully unaware of their cohabitation. So I'm acquitted. Obviously your vote and Linda's carry more clout than those of Joe and Sioux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I object! Who is your lawyer, Jackie Chiles?

      Delete
    2. Yes, Jackie Chiles IS my lawyer, and I always heed his advice, especially about not using the balm.

      AND...my star witness is Rebecca DeMornay. Put THAT in your muffin and stump it!

      Delete