Monday, November 19, 2012

Who's Bringing the Roast Beast?

We have a sign-up sheet in the teacher workroom. A list of who's bringing what to the Thanksgiving potluck lunch on Wednesday. You know, because everybody is simply dying to cook up a tasty treat on the night before they have to cook up a bunch of tasty treats. The timing is off a bit this year, what with a switch in personnel, and our regular turkey-cooker out of the rotation. The pinch-getter volunteered to procure the turkey. The least we can do is provide a covered dish as requested.

Therein lies the problem. Like "aloha" in Hawaii, "covered dish" in our building has more than one meaning. Or so it would seem upon perusal of the sign-up sheet. But before I give you a peek at what's on the menu, let's make excuses for the signers. And also for the Johns whose Hancocks are sorely lacking.

We normally have that potluck today. Monday of the short week. In years past, we have had leftovers on Tuesday and Wednesday. More recently, the bird carcass is picked clean before Tuesday rolls around. A hearty lunch of corn casserole, veggies and dip, and sugar-free desserts are left. So changing the day is not such a big deal anymore. We'll stuff ourselves on Wednesday, and clean up the mess. No lingering lesser babkas to be picked over for two days.

That sign-up list used to be on the back of the door in the teacher workroom. Which is unfortunate, because the door is always propped open. So you really had to search to find the list. In days gone by, people tried to haul in a balanced meal. To not bring what others had already signed up for. As luck would have it, the first signer was usually the Loaf of Bread Guy. You could mark that off your list right away. Now the sign-up paper is on the table by the soda machine. I only found it because I sat down to rest while Kyocera was churning out my copies.

I'm giving my colleagues the benefit of the doubt. They probably thought we weren't having our potluck this year. Or they didn't find the list. But the reality remains. It is Monday. The potluck is Wednesday. Only ten people have signed up. Here's what we're having. Read it, and weep with me.

rolls
hot wing dip
?
chocolate cake
green bean casserole
something
Mississippi Mud cake
dessert
apple dumplings
Farmer's Almanac

Okay. That last one is a guess. Lady of Spain, we adore you. Your writing is beautiful, so stylish, with curlicues and loop-de-loops, yet unreadable. I know you are writing in English, because there are no beginning questions marks, and no funky upside-down exclamation points. I am sure you're bringing something delicious. But the best I can decipher is Farmer's Almanac. Please forgive my monolingualism.

I'm not all that concerned about filling my gullet at Wednesday's brought-in buffet. I could easily spend 39 days on Survivor, all the while giving my share of rice to one of those little skeletal girls without ever feeling the bite of hunger. Besides, school dismisses at 1:00 that day. I can grab some gas station chicken on the way home if I feel a mite peckish. Such a meager menu does not cause me undue alarm. Enough is as good as a feast, I've heard.

I guarantee you that more than ten people will show up to eat.

5 comments:

  1. Who invented the dreaded green bean casserole. I love fresh green beans but that dish has always turned my stomach, and very few things turn my stomach as you can well imagine. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the same in every school building. There is a group that calls themselves the "Breakfast Club" and they bring things for their group every Friday. If you're not one of their "pets," if you even look at what they're eating, they'll cut you with a bagel slicer. But, if you're one of their inner sanctum members but don't contribute to the Breakfast Club, they'll make you made-to-order Belgian waffles.

    Oh yes, EVERYONE shows up to eat, and they're even capable of making themselves a plate to take home, but are incapable of making a batch of brownies, a crockpot of spaghetti, or even a large tossed salad.

    By the way, here's something to chew on: I'm off on Wednesday.................(that calls for a never-ending ellipsis, I think)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like the makings of a new soap opera ..... As The Stomach Churns .....

    ReplyDelete
  4. In lieu of potluck we got the day off. Enjoy that ??? and let us know what it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen,
    I think the green bean casserole was invented by two families, the main one being French's, although they were probably in cahoots with Campbell's.

    ***************
    Sioux,
    Sucker! You'll be missing out on four desserts, two possible roadkill recipes, hot wing dip on rolls, and a tasty page taken from The Farmer's Almanac. Eat your heart out, baby!

    I'm guessing you speak of a different Breakfast Club than the one Emilio Estevez was sentenced to for taping a dude's butt-cheeks together. But if not, you'd better watch where you cast your eyes. If you value your butt-cheeks.

    ***************
    Kathy,
    I'll get right to work on that screenplay, and hope to finish before someone pitches the reality show.

    ***************
    Linda,
    I will rush right to the sign-up list Wednesday morning, and see whose name was by the ?. I'm thinking it's the person who last year brought those roll-ups made with a dill pickle, cream cheese, and Buddig ham slices. Oh, and they were cut into pinwheels, so if you wanted a whole pickle spear, you had to look like a hog and load up your paper plate with many.

    ReplyDelete