Monday, November 12, 2012

This is Why Genius Wants to go Away to College

Genius and two friends went to a movie Friday evening. Not a regular Backroads movie at the nearly-local fourplex. A movie in a city up north. Halfway between Backroads and the BigCity. He didn't plan to be out late. They met up right after school, and headed off to a 4:45 showing. I was a bit apprehensive, what with it being a Friday night. But Genius has been to the BigCity by himself, so I let out the apron strings a bit.

I didn't even command Genius to call me when he got there, and when he was leaving. The Pony and I scurried around so he could feed the goats and chickens. Then I took him back to town so he could spend the night with his grandma. Hick was still in Massachusetts. So I had the homestead to myself. I was happily cruising the information superhighway when the phone rang just before 7:00.

"Mom. There's been an accident. We are out of the movie, but we can't get on the road. The police have it blocked. There are ambulances coming."

"You're not sitting in traffic?"

"No. We're on the parking lot of a gas station by a mini mall. We're just standing here watching. They're letting one lane of traffic through."

"You need to be careful. Know your surroundings. Don't get robbed. You all look like country people. Don't let anybody take advantage of you."

"You're crazy. We don't look country. We're fine."

"Just be careful. Call me back in twenty minutes, or when you are leaving."

Yes. I'm overprotective. But Genius is naive. He will object when he reads this. But it's true. When I worked in the BigCity for the unemployment office, down by the Bevo Mill, a coworker said the same thing to me. Hick worked near Tower Grove and Chouteau at the time. So we rode together. He had to be at work at 7:00 a.m. My supervisor didn't show up until around 7:20 to open the building. I told Hick to let me out so I could wait. I never thought anything of it. There were not many people around at that time of morning. Just those driving by on the way to work. Hick picked me up after work. We both had overtime back then. My supervisor assigned me extra filing to pass the time. When he left, I was sometimes alone for a half hour until Hick was ready to go. At least I could wait inside the office. The door locked on its own when I left. The only time I got scared was when a guy walked from narrow window to narrow window, pressing his face against the glass, watching me. I went to the windowless break room to spoil his fun. Still, I felt safer with this arrangement than dropping off Hick and picking him up later.

The phone rang again at 7:15. "Mom. We're leaving now."

"From the parking lot?"

"Yeah. We think there was a drug deal going on behind the gas station. So we got back in the truck."

"I TOLD you to be aware!"

"We're fine. You overreact. The coolest thing ever happened while we were waiting! There's a Domino's in this strip mall. A guy sitting in his car stuck in traffic called and had them deliver a pizza to his car. It was great!"

"I'm glad you were entertained."

"Yeah. Well, we're going to Steak and Shake. Then I'll be home."

"Be careful. It's the opening night of deer season. Drunks will be on the way to deer camp. Look out for the other guy. Like oncoming traffic."

"All RIGHT! Bye."

Yes. I'm overprotective. But I'm sure the people in the accident never planned on colliding that night, either. You never know. All my blathering might have delayed them just long enough to avoid an unfortunate mishap.

8 comments:

  1. They looked like "country people"? What? Were they wittlin' something while they were in the movie theater, and they were covered in wood shavings? Was there some "chaw" tucked in between their cheek and their gums? Or did they have a corncob pipe in one side of their mouth and a piece of hay in the other side?

    Let me know. I need to be able to recognize country people. Those are the ones to watch out for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do your Mom thing. It's your job. All that concern is expected and would be seriously missed if it wasn't provided. Drug deals, traffic jams and Dominos. Now that's a night on the town!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard letting go of the apron strings, I know. Our boy is 32 and it's hard not telling him what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, you did what caring Mom's do. So that was YOU pacing outside that building early each day? I lived around the corner near the Bevo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've thrown in the occasional Humor Me for good measure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sioux,
    Three kids in a red Ford Ranger pickup truck, standing in a parking lot. American Eagle clothes. Great Clips haircuts. Gawking at flashing lights and sirens and a pizza delivery. Not leery of watching a transaction behind a gas station. Calling their moms to report on the action. Yeah. Country.

    If somebody came up and asked for help finding a lost puppy, they would have eagerly followed.

    ****************
    Leenie,
    I am most sought-after for my opinion on clothing color and pattern combinations.

    ****************
    Stephen,
    YOU DON'T TELL HIM WHAT TO DO? And he's only 32? Dang! You must have a will of iron.

    ****************
    Linda,
    I could feel eyes on my back every time I turned to pace. I worked near the Bevo for a year, until our office moved to South Broadway. Just in time for the great flood. Upon which we were farmed out to the Crestwood office, where we were thought to be quite uncouth. The south side is almost the country, you know. Our office secretary said her mother told her never to go south of Lindbergh, because the streetlights ended there.

    **************
    Joanne,
    I can imagine the response I would get. "HUMOR you! There IS no humoring you! You go too far!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't just stop being a mom! He will only appreciate this when he has children of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathy,
    He also appreciates it when he asks to borrow money because he doesn't have enough right now for a new gadget. If Momma ain't gettin' her respect needs met, ain't nobody gettin' his loan needs met.

    ReplyDelete