Friday, November 23, 2012

The Curious Incident of Who Moved My Cheese in the Refrigerator

All right already! It's not that curious. I moved my own cheese. I confess. I'm not filing a complaint against myself, so don't whip out those plastic zip-ties just yet. And somebody please tell me, at what point did our society reach the tipping point where metal handcuffs are used more in magic tricks and kinky boudoir escapades than in police work? Seriously, people. Disposable handcuffs made of plastic? I'm checking out space in the industrial park for my proposed handbasket factory.

The cheese in question was last observed on the second shelf of my shiny silver Frigidaire. Frig, for short. Two eight-ounce bars of sharp cheddar, still in their original see-through plastic packaging, had resided on the far-right side of that glass shelf for approximately two weeks. Like stalwart soldiers they stood, on edge, awaiting a call to duty.

Yesterday morning, as I gazed at the cheese, I noticed that it was gazing back at me. "Oh, Val!" you might say. "You're so silly! Cheese does not have eyes." This cheese did. Green eyes. Not full of envy, but full of mold. That is SO not cool. Sharp cheddar should be dark yellow. Not dark yellow with forest green spots, like some wacky leopard all decked out for St. Patrick's day. And speaking of St. Patrick's Day...

See there, how good I am with a segue? Not the motorized riding-on kind spelled Segway, but the ol' switcheroo from one subject to another totally unrelated subject. Sometimes I really impress myself with my mad segue skillz. In my mind, I could totally write copy for the local newscasters.

St. Patrick's Day is  around the expiration date of 3-13-13 that was stamped on my cheese packages. I cry shenanigans! That cheese should have been good to go for another three-and-a-half months! And remember, the expiration date is the recommended date that you use the product by for maximum freshness. Not the date that it will kill you if you eat it. I had a good mind to take that cheese back to Save A Lot. But of course I didn't have the receipt. I'm not in a habit of keeping food receipts in case the food spoils three-and-a-half months before the expiration date. I'm sure they would have given me my money back at that store. They are quite friendly and customer-oriented. After all these years, this is only the second time I've had a problem with something I bought there. The first was some chicken that went bad before the date. When I mentioned it on my next trip, the check-out lady told me I should have brought it back for a refund, but I had already thrown it away. That was chicken. We're talking a day or two, tops. Not three-and-a-half months.

What's the deal? I bought the cheese and drove it ten minutes home and put it in Frig. It's not like I ripped off the packaging, rubbed it on my rump, drop-kicked it across the goat pen, rolled it end over end through the chicken house, called the dog to fetch it by mouth back to the house, used it to scrub under the rim of the toilet, and had Hick carry it under his armpits for two days before re-wrapping it and putting it on the second shelf of Frig. C'mon! People in Morocco, including a visiting Andrew Zimmern, eat khlea, which is fermented meat stored in its own fat. Not refrigerated. And it does not grow mold!

I know that cheese is made from mold. But that should be on the outside of the thick rind, or branching merrily through the cheese proper in veins that are a planned part of the cheese texture and taste. Not growing in ever-expanding circles on the surface of a storebought cheese brick.

You bet I moved my cheese. Right to the plastic trash bag. Which had a built-in cinch at the top, because police are using all the zip ties to subdue innocent cheese movers.

6 comments:

  1. So YOU are responsible for all that staff development crap teachers had to go through a decade or so ago about "Who Moved My Cheese?"

    Now that I know who started it all, I am going to file a formal grievance. I have written down the issues--quite detailed, because it's 47-pages long--and will expect some sort of financial compensation for the pain and suffering I endured during that school year.

    All I need is your address, phone number, your SSN, your date of birth, the (proposed) name of your third-born child, and the length of your longest toenail, and I can file this suit at the courthouse.

    Please send the requested information as soon as possible...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At my sister's yesterday she had the same slightly moldy experience. She just cut it off and said it was JUST FINE AND NOT TO BE A BIG BABY. I just ate rolls and cranberry sauce at dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cheese didn't get to fulfill its destiny as an ingredient in one of your culinary masterpieces. A shame.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm SO disappointed. I wanted a Val-vs-dairy-case-stocker confrontation. Considering how grocery store employees are usually starving kids trying to survive on minimum wage with no benefits, which results in minimum concern for what's on the shelves, this could have been epic blog fodder. Go dig out that spotted cheddar and come back when you've done this posting thing properly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sioux,
    How dare you, Madam! That is more information than I need to supply in order to vote. It shall not be forthcoming. As for your frivolous lawsuit, I shan't be footing the bill for your layabout, Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea-drinking ways. My longest toenail lurks, sharpened and ready inside my red Croc, awaiting your next move.

    *****************
    Mrs.,
    The HORROR! Hick would have run from the house, screaming like a schoolgirl. You never want to be between him and the door when he discovers moldy bread.

    Thank goodness your sister did not serve you four-year-old Ranch Dressing like my mother tried a few Thanksgiving dinners ago. Just in case...you can tell expired dressing by the way it pours like thin, milky, polluted water from the bottle.

    *****************
    Stephen,
    The cheese is normally reserved for the noshing of Genius, who nabs a piece here and there as the mood strikes. I, myself, enjoy it on a Roasted Garlic Triscuit, with a dill pickle on the side.

    You would be shocked at the amount of time I devote to cutting the cheese. Or perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leenie,
    Aren't you the sneaky one! Slipping in here while I was responding to a lawsuit, a case of attempted murder, and a culinary admirer.

    My apologies for the milquetoast post. I once returned expired cheese to a Country Mart grocery store. At the service desk, the counter girl called up an employee from the dairy department. He perused my receipt (I only kept it because I was buying my grandma a basket of various cheeses for Christmas, and I keep track of holiday expenditures), and told her to give a refund. Then he took the two cheeses and went to the back of the store. I'm sure he put them back on the shelf after I left.

    ReplyDelete