Thursday, November 29, 2012

Things That Keep Val Awake

I woke up this morning wondering...

How do deaf people get up on time for work? It's not like they can set an alarm or a clock radio. It's not like the barking of three dogs just outside the French doors to their bedroom will wake them at 4:00 a.m. They can't have their mom call them to make sure they're up. So I'm guessing that they have some kind of system with a flashing light, perhaps. But what if they sleep with their head under the covers? Or what if they work night shift, and sleep during the day, and the room is already light? I mean, they've got it covered if they still live at home with hearing parents, or have a hearing spouse to wake them. I wish CBS would have shared a detail like that with us when Margie and Luke were contestants on The Amazing Race. I'm just worried about how the deaf can get a good night's sleep without fretting over getting to work on time.

Then I started wondering about people with dog doors. Not about them getting to work on time. About why they have those dog doors. The ones for big dogs. Don't they have tremendous heating and cooling bills? What with that flap of door letting hot air in during the summer, and letting heated air out during the winter? Not to mention the danger of a toddler escaping at will. And how about the vermin that might get in? How does that doggie door know if it's letting in the family pet, or a possum, or a skunk, or Ferris Bueller's creepy principal, Ed Rooney, or a Wet Bandit like Joe Pesci in Home Alone? I just want people with dog doors to be safe and energy-efficient.

Then I started wondering why people buy those little packs of eyeglasses screws and little screwdrivers in the check-out line. Because if their glasses have lost a screw, how in the world do they think they will be able to see to put the new screw in the glasses without wearing their glasses? Sure, they can have the glasses on to pick out a screw and the cute little screwdriver and have them ready. But then they have to take the glasses off their face in order to put the screw in, and that must be nigh on impossible for a bifocaled person to accomplish. I just want people to be able to see, and have glasses in good repair.

Then my alarm went off and my three dogs stopped yapping until the minute I sat down in the upstairs recliner for my morning chair nap after taking my shower to get ready for work.

5 comments:

  1. An exhausting bunch of concerns to deal with before going to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also ponder such mundane things. I could be blind and deaf and still get up at 4:00 ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val--That cranium of yours is just chock-full of important tidbits to ponder.

    AND you're such a problem-solver. And so altruistic. Perhaps you should run for something. Mayor perhaps of HillBillyLand?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such deep thoughts in the wee hours. I want a doggie door, but I want the doggie door in the storm door, so that the only time it can be used is when the regular door is open. Now I am wondering if this is because I am safety and enegy conscious ..... I am just a control freak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen,
    Yes. But I am somewhat used to it. That's what happens when you spend every night TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD.

    *****************
    Linda,
    But could you find your way outside to the porch to impress your neighbors and passers-by while in the middle of coloring you hair?

    *****************
    Sioux,
    I don't have a political bone in my body. Nor a spine, an ounce of common sense, any sort of talent in my little finger, or guts. I'm pretty much a hollow shell, filled with Diet Coke and gas station chicken.

    *****************
    Kathy,
    That's such a scathingly brilliant idea that I will invite you to market it to the masses as part of my handbasket advertising campaign. Once my proposed handbasket factory gets rolling, I will buy commercial time, and you can be a fake customer that I interview about the benefits of my handbaskets. But the best part is that you can wear a T-shirt advertising your Stormin' Doggie Doors. Two commercials in one. Of course, I will give you a complimentary handbasket for your well-rehearsed testimonial.

    Now get to work inventing an alarm clock for the deaf. I want them all to get to work on time so they can make money and buy my handbaskets.

    ReplyDelete