Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Throbbing

Sorry. Those of you who clicked in hoping to read a steamy bodice-ripper are going to be sorely disappointed. The only throbbing going on here is in Val's noggin.

I have a heavy-duty headache. I will stop short of blaming my blog buddy, Kathy, who had such an ailment a few days ago. Just because I might have brushed up against some of her germs in the comments section is no reason to make her my personal Typhoid Mary. It could be anything. I am breathed on by the teeming student populace on a daily basis. It could be anything. The Pony had a headache Monday night into Tuesday morning. He doesn't breathe on me too much. But he paws at the remote control. I know that. So I don't go touching anywhere on my face after handling it after he does. It could be anything.

One thing it could be is a broken neck. Okay. That's a little far-fetched. But the stabbing pain started last night at midnight, when I woke up in my recliner in front of the big-screen. One minute I was watching Chopped, waiting to see who won the round with the Cornish game hens, or little chickens, as Frank Costanza might say, just before asking who's having sex with the hen, and the next minute I was trying to keep my head from splitting open. It seems that I was not properly positioned for my chair nap. My neck was askew. It throbbed like the sinuses above my eyes.

I could not believe I was nearly done in by my loyal recliner. I felt as betrayed as John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn in True Grit, lamenting that his horse Bo had put a foot wrong. My recliner has never dared give me such a headache before. One more time, and it's off to the glue factory for him, by cracky!

This day was a miserable study in pain. Had I plans at school good enough for a sub to follow, I would have used a sick day. However, typing up sub plans would have been more painful than enduring the everyday routine. And I was already at school. Besides, I had duty this morning, and duty this afternoon.

By nine-thirty, I had popped an aspirin. At eleven-thirty, Acetaminophen joined Aspirin in Stomach Lake. And as soon as three-thirty rolled around, Ibuprofen arrived late to the gastric swim party. This throbbing noggin is accompanied by shooting pains down the back of my neck. I'm not sure which came first. But they are a darnable duo. Darn them! Darn them all to heck! I like a good Charlton Heston quote every now and then, too.

Nothing is working out for me. I went to fill my giant Bubba cup with ice from my Frigidaire ice-maker, and two chunks popped out. One landed on my Croc before skittering across the kitchen floor. Which meant I had to bend over and pick it up. Making my head throb all the more.

It's probably not a good sign that my neck pops and cracks every time I turn my head. However, "The Cracking" is not nearly so good a title as "The Throbbing."

7 comments:

  1. "The Throbbing" is a better title because it sounds much more suggestive than "The Cracking." I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, only you could write a hilarious post while being in so much pain. You should have your head examined! No, not by a shrink, by your primary medical doctor or some such. I get both those pains, too. Have had migraines for years. Not fun! And I have some bad stuff going on in my neck bones....ahhh...the fun of getting old(er).
    Hope you are all better today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get your hands off me, you dirty blogger!

    Thank goodness you were wearing your Crocs. The plastic just repels whatever hits it. Expensive, snobby suede or leather would have become besmudged--if only momentarily--but not the trusty Croc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gastric swim party ... you are one of a kind! When I get
    those pounding headches I know I'm heading for sinus infection/cold, so I gargle like a prisoner trying to get a high off Listerine. If that doesn' work, I brine my throat with salt water gargle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen,
    For me, "The Cracking" conjures up an image of an old curmudgeon (like, where are all the YOUNG curmudgeons, anyway?) popping his knuckles before grabbing his cane to shuffle to the front door and yell, "Hey! You kids! Get off my lawn!"

    **************
    Becky,
    Congrats on being the first to tell me to have my head examined. Well, the first on this blog post, anyway.

    I never thought I had migraines. They don't fit the pattern. But they are nauseatingly painful. They mainly started this summer. The Summer of Sinus, I call it.

    ***************
    Sioux,
    That's "DARN dirty blogger," Madam. Consult your Planet of the Apes primer. I am not teaching a remedial class.

    My Crocs never put a foot wrong.

    ***************
    Linda,
    "Oh, oh, Mr. Kottairrrr!" Pardon my Ron Palillo impersonation, but I can't help waving my hand and blurting this out. Did you ever see the old episode of Intervention where the lady alcoholic drinks Listerine? She actually sleeps with it tucked in beside her, resting on her pillow. She's not so cute the next day, when she passes out drunk on the front lawn, while her husband and son drive away and leave her there for passers-by to ogle.

    I think salt water would make a better bedfellow for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, sorry, sorry. I did not mean to subject you to my ailment telepathically (is that a word?). I am beginning to think my ailments are all caused by this building I live and work in. Think of all the germs from tenants past that linger here in these walls. Forget the fact that every surface has either been eliminated and replaced or painted (I love paint. This building is trying to kill me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy,
    I accept your apology. I will stop calling you Throbbing Mary forthwith.

    ReplyDelete