Sunday, September 20, 2026

I See It as a Discount That Was Meant to Be

Last week, The Pony did not accompany me on Errand Day. I only had a couple items to get at Country Mart, those being bananas and apples and bread. I could get them cheaper at 10Box, but can't find those apples there. They are Sugar Bee apples. That's what the stickers say, anyway. They're a sweet, crisp red apple. Hick also likes them, and takes them in his lunch to the SUS2.5 on the weekends.

I was shocked to see my receipt when I got back to T-Hoe. It seemed like a high total for such a few items. When I looked at the apple price, it was over $16!!! For a bag of 10 apples! I was fuming during the ride home, wondering if the young man checker had overcharged me.

Once home, I put that bag of apples on the scale. It weighed 3.8 pounds. I had not noticed the price of the produce. I usually just get what's on my list because that's what I want. I'm not looking for bargains on the produce. I thought all the apples had signs for something around $3.00/pound. I complained to Hick about the apples costing over $16.

"Huh. That DOES seem like a lot. But they're good apples."

"They're Sugar Bee apples. I can't find them anywhere else."

Hick started Googling on his phone.

"Well no wonder. It says here that they're $9.99 a pound at Target!"

"WHAT? I'm sure they're not that much at Country Mart. Let me get the receipt. Huh. It says I got 3.89 pounds, and they're $4.36 a pound. So that's about right. I just never realized they were that expensive. But at least it's not $9.99 a pound!"

I went back to Country Mart this week to get more apples. I saw a new kind. Cosmic Crisp. They were also a red apple, but a little bigger than the Sugar Bee. There were only five in a bag. I wanted to try them. But still got Hick a bag of the Sugar Bee. 

The Pony was with me this time, and checked out first. I set my items on the conveyor. I put the Cosmic Crisp apples first. Then the Sugar Bee. Then my other stuff. I didn't want the checker putting bags of apples on top of my bread. The checkers here don't have much common sense. Several are not even 21 yet, and have to call for elders to ring up alcohol.

Indeed, this young gal had to pick up the produce chart (a laminated strip with pictures) to see what she was ringing up. You'd think she'd never seen an apple before! The stickers were on EACH APPLE. She could have looked at them and known what she was ringing up.


Both were sold in clear plastic tote bags, open at the top with two loop handles. Easy to see, easy to scan a bar code.

Anyhoo... she set the first bag, the Cosmic Crisps, on the scale. Picked up her picture chart. Then tapped in the item. As she was setting the Sugar Bees on the scale, I said,

"I have two different kinds of apples--"

"How is your day going? Oh. Sorry. What was that?" She said as she tapped in the newly-weighed Sugar Bees.

"Never mind. I'm having a good day." 

On the way to the car, I told The Pony, 

"I have no idea how she rang up these apples. I was trying to tell her that I had two kinds, so she could charge me the right prices. But she had already put them in the register, and I didn't want to wait for somebody to come clear it." 

The Pony didn't shame me on this one. "Hey, you tried to tell her."

When I looked at the receipt, I was REALLY having a good day! She had charged me for GALA APPLES! Both bags. Which are only $1.78/pound!


I really like them apples!

10 comments:

  1. My husband found a new to us apple last year. He was able to taste a sample and proclaimed them to be the kind of apple I would prefer, which turned out to be the case. They had them on sale last week for $1.99 a pound so put them on the list. When looking at the receipt, it said they were rave apples, not the first kiss brand that I wanted. I mentioned it to my husband, and he went and looked at the label and they were first kiss, not rave. They keep coming up with these new names and you never know what they might be. I only like galas as an apple to use with another type of apple in my pies. I thought maybe we got overcharged, but in looking up the rave apples, the price was the same. At least she didn't use the Honeycrisp price as they are always over $3.00 a pound, almost $4.00. I love Honeycrisp apples as they were original to Minnesota, but sometimes they are just too expensive. I do like the first kiss as an acceptable substitute. But, again, she had the little label stuck on the apple and it was first kiss. What do I know? I'm not a grocery store cashier. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you didn't get a big discount, but you didn't get overcharged, either. Even Steven!

      I haven't seen any raves around here. Most of the apples at Country Mart are right around $3/lb. Except the Sugar Bee, which are higher, and the Gala, which are lower.

      I can't remember the prices at 10Box. Their apples don't have the sticker names on them. I can tell a Granny Smith by looking, but I'm suspicious of reds, because I don't like Red Delicious. They seem too mealy for me.

      Delete
  2. After leaving my comment, I decided to go online to our grocery store and confirm the price of the rave apples.... there were no rave apples listed. Interesting. So, I decided to check other prices of different apples. Cosmic Crisp, Honeycrisp, Sweet Tango, Ambrosia, are all $2.99 a pound. Something called Apple Hunny Z were 3.99# and a 3# bag of something called Rockit apples was $12.59 each. Braeburn, pink lady, golden delicious, gala was $2.49 a pound and red delicious were $1.99 a pound. But no Rave apples. Many of these apples are probably a year old. The ones from this year will probably start showing up in the stores in October, if we're lucky. Of course the organic were more expensive. Thought I'd share that bit of info. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Hick was reading off his phone about the Sugar Bee apples at Target, he said they were organic. Which would explain the higher price. At least Country Mart was less than half the Target price! They are really good. The Pony gave us the first ones, having bought them and decided they were too sweet. The Pony likes a tart apple to go with peanut butter.

      Delete
  3. I agree with The Pony. You did your best to clue the cashier in on the correct price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did! One time The Pony tried to shame me because only two six-packs of Hick's Diet Mountain Dew rang up. I clearly told the checker guy that I had three. One on the side of the cart, and two down in the cart itself. He used the hand-held scanner, and it beeped three times. Yet when I looked at the receipt in T-Hoe, to write the total in my checkbook register... only two sodas were on it. Not MY fault! The Pony said I should have told him. I was not going to walk back inside and stand in line to be charged for another six-pack.

      Delete
  4. WhooHoo! Good deal on those apples Val! Like Rae, HoneyCrisp apples are one of my favorites. My store has them on sale starting Monday for 1.88/lb so I'll buy some then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy apple-eating! I have one after supper every night.

      Delete
  5. You definitely got a bargain! Those apples will taste sweeter knowing you got them cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they will be double-sweet, because I got them at half price, heh, heh!

      Delete