Monday, February 12, 2018

Right Place, Right Time

Friday I asked Hick if he needed anything from town when I made my daily trip to the Gas Station Chicken Store for my 44 oz Diet Coke. I also planned to run in Country Mart for a few items that didn't require a trip all the way to Walmart. Hick said he needed some Q-Tips. That altered my plans a bit.

I always go in the OUT door of Country Mart. They're not marked, like Walmart. The IN door is down at one end of the building, and the OUT door at the other, by the checkout. It's not a big deal. A lot of people go in the OUT door there, depending on what they're buying. Several registers are always closed, and you can cut through them. There are carts down at the OUT entrance, too.

This time, since Hick needed Q-Tips, I parked at the pharmacy end of Country Mart, and entered through the IN doors. I got my cart, and steered it slightly right, for the Q-Tip aisle. Normally, I would have gone in the OUT entrance, straight ahead to the bananas, then down the left side of the store for the cereal and Bugles and ice cream.

I left the Q-Tip aisle (got him store brand, of course, for half the price) and got on the next aisle, a main one, to head to the back of the store and go left towards the produce for Hick's bananas. That happens to be the aisle with the greeting cards. As I neared the display, I thought, I might as well get Hick's Valentine card while I'm here. It will save me from the crowd at the Walmart Valentine cards next time I go.

Well. You might remember what happened last time I looked at cards at Country Mart. I swear, that wasn't even on my mind as I pulled my cart alongside the racks, and started looking in the Valentine section for relatives, namely HUSBAND.

It jumped out at me, though.


I wasn't looking for a SON card. My boys are old enough now that they would find that creepy. They gladly accept a heart full of chocolates, though, and some scratchers. I wasn't looking for a GRANDDAUGHTER card, either. But there, one row over, and one row up, from the HUSBAND cards, was this ladybug card. With the ladybugs conveniently showing just above the card below it that could have blocked out the images. And a MOM card beside it.


I guess I'm reaching. Stretching this coincidence. But I didn't see any DAUGHTER cards in the immediate vicinity. And daughter IS at the end of granddaughter.

I'm still counting it as a ladybug sighting!

If Hick hadn't asked for Q-Tips, I wouldn't have been in that end of the store to see it, and the Valentines would be gone by the next Friday. I guess Hick's dirty ears put me in the right place at the right time.

10 comments:

  1. Definitely counts...better than a penny actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find a penny today, but I had a DREAM about finding a penny last night! I couldn't see the date, because it was face down, and I can't put it in my penny goblet, so I won't count it in my total...

      Delete
  2. No, you aren't reaching, the lady bugs were there for you. Hick's ears, that's just a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...Hick's ears led me to the ladybugs. Sadly, I don't think any amount of Q-Tips will make him listen to me any better.

      Delete
  3. I find it odd that there are Valentine's cards for sons, grand daughters, mothers etc. To me Valentine's Day is for sweethearts and lovers, husbands and wives. I couldn't possibly be giving those cards to my children or parents.
    I do think spotting the ladybugs was a nice moment for you though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess if you were CEO of a greeting card company, you could find even MORE borderline loved ones to design cards for!

      That WAS a nice moment.

      Delete
  4. Chicken Soup has a couple of titles that might interest you. You could craft a ladybug story... (And don't say you can't write Chicken Soup style of stuff because you've brought a tear to my eyes with just your posts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, buddy, I will check out the Chicken Soup. I did send a ladybug story a while back, with no response. I have more bugs to add now, so I might start over.

      I have a feeling that my writing has brought a tear to other eyes, not necessarily in a good or emotional kind of way.

      Delete
  5. Every time I see a ladybug I think of you and your mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And every time someone tells me that, I think of her, so she's not forgotten!

      Delete