Friday, November 24, 2023

Thevictorians Strap On an Extra-Large Feedbag

The Pony came out to join us for Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday. Hick picked him up on his way back home from organizing his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2). That way, The Pony could enjoy a cocktail, smug with the knowledge that his chauffeur would be driving him home. Of course, the chauffeur also had a cocktail! If you classify a shot of Wild Turkey in a red Solo cup with Diet Coke as a cocktail.

Actually, that was the ONLY turkey served in Thevictorian household on Thanksgiving, as Hick had requested ham this year. And don't worry, he had plenty of food and time to sober up while The Pony and I remained at the table chatting long after Hick had his three desserts and retired to his recliner to watch football.

The Pony was a big help. I had asked that he arrive one hour before we planned to dine, to help with last-minute prep. He's a fantastic workhorse, our Pony. He made his own Stovetop Stuffing. And tore off foil to cover my hash brown casserole. Checked the roasted vegetables as they heated. Got out the plates and silverware. Baked the Sister Schubert's Rolls. Mixed the drinks. Timed the assorted foodstuffs and removed them from the oven. I really appreciate my little Pony.

I bought a bone-in ham, and butchered it on Wednesday afternoon while Hick was away at a doctor appointment. He said he wanted quarter-inch slices. Well. That ham was slippery! So the quarter-inch varied from slice to slice. Hick was going to have a ham steak sized slice, but changed his mind and took some random chunks. So I ended up with the other piece. He didn't make that decision until it was warmed already. Just slices The Pony and I selected, rather than putting the whole ham in the oven. Which was impossible anyway, because the giant bone was in Frig II's freezer to cook in a pot of Great Northern beans next week.

Anyhoo... here are our plates. We'll start with mine.


Yes, that's a giant slab of ham. I like the fat. I really do. But I had so much other stuff to eat that I trimmed off that fat for the dogs. Plus, The Pony tossed his trimmed fat onto my plate. I made a couple of mini sandwiches with the little rye bread slices leaned against the plate. No use wasting my rolls for that, like The Pony did for his sandwiches. Also on the plate is the hash brown casserole. Then I have my roasted vegetables in a bowl. They were great. You should have smelled them when cooking on Wednesday. Golden potatoes, baby carrots, and onions, covered with strips of bacon for flavor. The bacon itself was to be used in the 7 Layer Salad. It's the top layer, followed by shredded cheddar, mayo, peas, diced boiled eggs, chopped green onions, and romaine lettuce. Oh, and I have some black olives on the side. 

Now we'll take a look at Hick's plate.


Hick's plate is just too busy for me! I don't like all my food crammed together. Hick is quite generous with the butter on his rolls. That must be where The Pony gets his love of butter. This was Kerrygold, per The Pony's request. Hick made some comment about how he liked REAL butter, and The Pony said, "Um. That's Kerrygold. You can't get any realer than that!" And in fact went to FRIG II to get another stick of it, and show Hick the wording. Not sure if Hick was just babbling, or accusing me of not putting out real butter. He said "I like the butter, instead of margarine." Which everybody knows is in a tub in FRIG II, and not on the butter dish you see at the bottom of this picture.

And now for The Pony's trough. Brace yourself.


Yes, that's a whole pan of Sister Schubert's Rolls, just for The Pony. He even said, jokingly, I hope: "I'm putting them over here so you two can't get them!" Our pan was on the cutting block, where we had filled our plates, and was more brown on top, per my request. The Pony does not like the 7 Layer Salad, so I made his separate, and he added red onion. He was drinking spiced rum and Sprite, with a Coke on the side.

As you can see, Thevictorians have healthy appetites. Not healthy, as in good for your body. But healthy, as in we eat a lot!

In a few days I'll tell you about the desserts. No pictures of them. It's kind of too late! Which doesn't mean that they're all gone. The Pony took some home, along with my Chinese Tupperware containers of ham, roasted vegetables, two individual salads, stuffing, and a frozen pack of rolls to bake later. 

The Pony and I sat at the table finishing our plates (no room for dessert) and talking until 4:45! Then the chauffeur grew restless, and started dropping hints that maybe The Pony should round up the leftovers so they could hit the road.

A great time was had by all, and Hick was even on pretty-good behavior!

6 comments:

  1. I had so much to eat almost 24 hours ago, that I may not eat until Saturday. Your feast looks very good. It is good to have a helper in the kitchen who is helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was stuffed, but still had room for a mini blueberry muffin after Hick went to bed. AND I was thinking all day Friday about my leftovers for supper. They did not disappoint.

      Yes, my helper is good at following directions. I only have to worry when he makes a decision on his own, like throwing away my Kerrygold foil wrapper, which I wanted to use to put the butter back in FRIG II. It was too tall for the lid of the butter dish.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh but your Thanksgiving dinner looked so good:) My favorite would be the 7 layer salad. I can't remember the last time I had that and I love it. Maybe I should make it one of these days:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tasty, even though I didn't prepare my deviled eggs as usual. They take so much time and effort. I will try to fix them for Christmas Dinner, as they are a favorite of The Pony.

      The 7 Layer Salad is also a favorite of mine. It turned out just right. I tend to take a larger portion than I can eat, because I don't want to waste it by Hick and I not having enough time to eat it before it goes bad.

      Delete
  3. Looks like good feasting at The Victorian Mansion! I prefer my ham without fat though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fat, but the ham was actually my least favorite part of the meal. I love the sides!

      Delete