Friday, November 10, 2023

The Adoration is Strong in This One

When I left for town on Thursday, the dogs were missing. I figured maybe they were over at Copper Jack's house next door, since I was leaving a couple hours earlier than normal. As I went up the driveway, Jack appeared, and then Scarlett, coming from the direction of neighbor Tommy's house, and not under the fence from Copper Jack's. Oh, well. Too bad, so sad. I had tossed their pre-town thumb-sized scrap of bread onto the side porch, for them to find, or not.

Hick was making deals and sorting stuff at his SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2), and got home before I did. He had driven A-Cad instead of SilverRedO. I saw it parked over on Shackytown Boulevard when I came down the driveway upon my return. Only my little Jack came running. By the time I had parked T-Hoe in the garage, Hick was pulling in with A-Cad. I gave him my key to go unlock the door.

As I came out the people door of the garage, only Jack was waiting. We had a mini love-fest, Jack whimpering with delight to have all the attention to himself, without leaping Scarlett to contend with. 

"Where is my Scarlett? What have you done with her? She wouldn't miss her treat!"

Jack did not answer. It was quite unusual for Scarlett to be off on her own, since I'd just seen her before leaving for town. Once inside, I asked Hick.

"Where is Scarlett? Have you locked her up somewhere accidentally? Only Jack is here for his treat."

"She was just out there! While I was putting stuff in my shed."

"Are you sure you didn't close her in?"

"I'll go look."

Hick stepped out on the front porch and called to her. 

"Here she comes. She thought I was still in the shed. She was laying over there waiting."

How Scarlett could miss Hick coming out of the shed, getting in A-Cad, and driving to the garage, I'll never know. I guess she is used to him driving SilverRedO. Or maybe her attention wandered, and she was sniffing around Shackytown Boulevard. Once Hick climbed into A-Cad, she would not have been able to follow his scent.

The adoration is strong in this one. Scarlett might have laid out there by the shed all night, waiting for the object of her adoration to come out!

Anyhoo... Scarlett ran to the front porch, and that rascally Hick ducked back inside without petting her! She came romping around to the kitchen door when I called her, and got the day's treat, which was half a slice of Hawaiian bread.

6 comments:

  1. Does Scarlet realize she missed Hick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlett knew enough not to go back and lie by the shed, but as far as consciously noticing that he'd called to her, and then closed the door before she got there... I think not. She was excited about her treat, so ran right around to the kitchen when I called. If any dog could have ADD, it would be Scarlett!

      Delete
  2. Hick ducked inside without petting her? Shame on him! it won't dull her adoration though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Hick was already standing there. Five more seconds, and he could have given her a pat. How hard would THAT have been???

      You're right. The Scarlett still ADORES Hick. No hard feelings. Maybe they can spend more time together this winter when Hick goes to work in the BARn or the Freight Container Garage. Unlike my Dear Departed Juno, Scarlett has no qualms about going inside a building. Hick will surely talk to her, at least. More likely, he will talk to himself, and Scarlett will think he's talking to her.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They are blind to their master's faults. You can almost see cartoon hearts shooting out of their eyes when the master appears!

      Delete