Saturday, May 2, 2020

DIME It! A Strange COINcidence.

TUESDAY, April 28, I found a shiny 2010 face-down penny, at my feet in front of the register at Orb K. There was a man standing there paying as I looked at the lottery ticket display. I heard him say to the clerk, "I don't want any MORE change!" Not sure what that was about, but when I was the next customer, there it was. MEANT FOR ME, obviously.

I don't even know if it was his. The change at Orb K comes down a little ramp into a tiny metal coin dry swimming pool from the register. I took a picture, but of course my new used iPhone 8 ate it. It was showing there, before the darn thing shut itself off and on about 10 times on the drive home.

BONUS! When checking my shirt pocket for my scratcher money before going inside, I found a 2017 penny that I don't recall previously finding! Although I HAD to have found it, or it wouldn't be in my shirt pocket. Let the record show that I wear a shirt to town for an hour or two, then hang it back in the closet. No need to waste resources on an almost-perfectly clean shirt. It's not like I mud-wrestle or sweat like a hod-carrier in July, or attract a dust cloud like Pig-Pen. As long as the dogs don't jump up with muddy feet, I can get multiple wearings from a town shirt.

Anyhoo...my procedure is to put the first penny I find into the shirt pocket. Then pants pocket left, pants pocket right, and lay any others on top of my 44 oz Diet Coke. When I get home, I take out the penny finds, make a note of their date by using my kitchen counter magnifying glass, write it on my note card of the day's good songs, and take it to my lair for recording on New Delly until time to write the Saturday CENTSus.

Thus, finding an uncatalogued penny in my pocket, while a joyous occasion, is also disconcerting. I looked back, and didn't see any 2017 pennies recently, during the shirt-wash cycle. So I'm guessing this came from the Sis-Town Casey's when I was distracted by a former colleague last week? Don't know, don't care, I'm COUNTING IT!
_______________________________________________________________________

FRIDAY, May 1, I slithered out of T-Hoe at Orb K. My favorite parking space was taken, so I had to park next to the truck that took it. Big mirrors on that truck. Heavy duty, like someone who pulls stuff for a living would have. I allowed extra space so I could get T-Hoe's door open all the way, without hitting the mirrors. Obviously, that was MEANT to happen.


If I had parked evenly within the space, T-Hoe would have been on top of this heads-up 2005 dime! Even more remarkable, I was able to keep this photo alive long enough to get it home and transferred to New Delly! That was not an easy task. I sacrificed a closeup for this! Since trying to take a second picture always causes my new used iPhone 8 to black out from the stress! I swear, I was like one of those Naked and Afraid people getting an ember, and trying to keep it alive long enough to transfer it to their new camp after the old one being inundated with water, or surrounded by screaming monkeys.

Anyhoo...that's THREE COINS, worth 12 CENTS this week! Plugging right along toward the Future Pennyillionaire Fortune.
__________________________________________________________________

2020 RUNNING TOTAL

Penny       # 41, 42.
Dime         # 9.
Nickle      still at 3.
Quarter   0

2019 TOTALS
Penny     134
Dime        20
Nickel        8
Quarter      5
__________________________________________________________________

8 comments:

  1. This morning we were watching a show about people with strange obsessions. For some reason I thought about you. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! It's because you know that I, too, like to watch shows about people with strange obsessions.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, that's it...that and the penny finding thing.

      Delete
    3. Oh, c'mon! It's not like I eat them, or have carnal relations with them, or have a themed shed built just for my pennies!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE reaching into a pocket and finding forgotten money. That big mirror truck did you a favour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That truck DID do me a favor! No coincidences. It was meant to be there.

      I was happy for the penny, but puzzled by its origin! I'm pretty sure it came from that day I was distracted by my old teaching buddy, Sir Gabs-A-Lot, from my days of dining at The Semi-Weekly Meeting of the Newmentia Lunch Time Think Tank.

      He parked next to me at the Sis-Town Casey's, called my name, showed me the scars on both knees from his recent replacement surgery, got behind me in line to chat, and had me all discombobulated on my way out the door.

      Delete