Tuesday, May 20, 2014

My Dorsal Region Mocks Me

I'm sure you all dropped by, ever hopeful, to find that I was miraculously healed, and writing about something more entertaining than my (non)broken back. Who are you people, Charlie Brown hoping to kick a football held by Lucy Van Pelt? This leopard is not about to change her spots.

I am running on four hours sleep. Here, let me reveal the details. They have nothing to do with a pea under the mattress.

5:15 p.m. to 6:15 p.m
A sound slumber in the basement recliner, awaking to a dream phone ringing. Which turned out to be the real phone, The Pony on the other end, saying his dad wanted him to call and see if I was all right, because I had not been feeling well when he left. The fleeting moments of pain-free-ness quickly turned to tear-evoking back spasms.

11:30 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.
I nodded off under my fleece blanket, all warm and toasty watching TV, again in the downstairs recliner. I woke up because it was time to go to bed. Which was one of the slowest trips up 13 stairs upon which I had ever embarked.

4:00 a.m. to 4:50 a.m.
Funny how I could not fall asleep at 1:30 in my flannel-sheeted queen-size. I tried laying on my side, in order to slip that dislocated spasm-generator back into place. Funny how my back quit hurting, but my neck started up. Oh, and not funny how every time Hick flopped over, I sailed up and down like a jolly good fellow in a blanket toss. I hadn't been that jolted since Hick drove me through the fields of my grandma's Christmas tree farm in his old pickup while I was in early labor with Genius, who was born at 9:24 the next morning.

Yes, that's ten minutes short. But I'd rather think of myself getting four hours sleep than three hours and fifty minutes of sleep.

I made it through work without any major sleepage incidents. The back held up. Seriously. This is public school with seven days left, testing over, only fun projects left to do. It's not like I was on the Boys' Town Wagon Train Train Ride.

The main thorn in my side was the little dude at the register in Save A Lot on the way home. We went to pick up The Pony's new glasses, and I stopped at the lesser Save A Lot for some hamburger to add to the four-cheese tortellini that The Pony wanted for supper. While I was there, I tossed in some frozen garlic toast, and three individual packs of Soft Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies because The Pony asked for them. With my back still tender, I piled my items in the upper child seat area of the cart, so as to invoke no bending and lifting.

The cashier slid my foodstuffs over the scanner and tossed them in the waiting cart. There were only five items, people. How hard is it to attend to them properly? Apparently, the difficulty level is on par with herding a clowder of cats from Independence to Oregon City. He flung my purchases into the waiting child seat, which was more ready for a child, what with the flat red plastic seat flap down, not up against the handle. Two of the Soft Batch treats slammed to the tile floor at 98 meters per second squared.

That meant Val of the (non)broken back club had to bend over and retrieve them. It was not a pretty sight.

The words Val had for the cashier as she exited the establishment were not a pretty sound.

7 comments:

  1. I've had that back thing, you have my sympathy.

    When you pick things up, always look to the sky first to straighten your spine. Hey, that's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back pains are the worst. I don't know how you even made it to the store in the first place. I hope you're feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I'm almost double-nickels, my back acts up sometimes. Sometimes just a slight shift in my position results in a pain...in the back.

    Some might suggest yoga. Or exercise. Or something other than what I'm doing (or NOT doing).

    Gettin' old...it ain't for cowards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have my utmost sympathy. I, too, have had problems with back pain and spasms and it is astonishing to me that you were able to function to drive and get yourself shopping -- even for essentials like chocolate chip cookie dough!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there. Summer vacation is but days away! Maybe visualizing happy thoughts like how to torture sloppy cashiers with hot tongs would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me thinks you are too nice! I would have asked the young lad to get them for me. I am not above faking a tear to get what I want. Of course, you would not have had to fake the tear. Sioux is right about yoga, I hear it helps a lot. Of course I haven't actually tried it ...... the vicodin left from my extraction does a good job, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. joeh,
    But...what if while I'm looking up, some ne'er-do-well steals my cookies? Wait a minute! Are you setting me up? Not that you're a ne'er-do-well, of course...

    ******
    Stephen,
    The trip to the store was much easier than the trip to work that morning. I can't explain why. Maybe I like the thought of food more than the thought of teenagers.

    *****
    Sioux,
    When my back doesn't hurt, I don't think I need exercise. When my back does hurt, I can't exercise. Perfect.

    *****
    Broad,
    You do what you gotta do. If I could get my 16-year-old to get his license, he could be driving me around.

    *****
    Leenie,
    Well, that's something to lull myself to sleep with, rather than that sheep-counting scenario.

    *****
    Kathy,
    We never get vicodin. Our doctors give out the generic hydrocodone. It gives me bizarre dreams. Kind of like the tong torture of sloppy cashiers. Haven't had any of that since my thyroid got ripped out back in '10. It was a lifesaver then.

    ReplyDelete