I mentioned how we lost our meat during the 13-hour power outage on Saturday night. Part of that meat was four gigantic pork steaks that Hick got from one of his buddies at his SUS2.5 (Storage Unit Store 2.5) on Saturday. As I said, Hick was really proud of them, because they weren't just pork steaks from a store, but from a hog that his buddy had butchered.
At first I was leery of those pork steaks. "I don't know. How will you get them home without them spoiling? It's over 100 degrees, and he's bringing them to your store!"
"I have air conditioning there, Val. And I have a refrigerator."
"A mini fridge! Will they even fit? And how will you get them home in your truck?"
"They'll be fine, Val. My truck has air conditioning."
Even so, I sent Hick a text midday on Saturday, after he sent one announcing the procurement of those pork steaks at 11:36 a.m.
"Val i got the four pork steaks here in the fridge"
"OK. Try to wrap them in something to stay cool on the way home."
Hick agreed. I don't know what he used, but carried in a bundle of meat that was inside a paper bag. He tore away the paper bag, revealing a gallon zip-lock bag stuffed with meat and white butcher paper. He chucked the whole thing in the bottom of FRIG II.
No way was I going to take a chance on ANY meat left in FRIG II after 13 hours without electricity. Especially meat that had traveled 30 minutes through the sweltering afternoon without a cooler. I couldn't throw it out, because the dogs would gorge on it. I couldn't just put it in the trash, because it would stink terribly before trash pickup day, and wild animals (and my dogs) would be trying to get into the dumpster. So I baked it, to ration to the dogs as daily treats/meals.
On Monday evening, we were sitting at the table, enjoying our grilled replacement meats. Hick got a text.
"Huh. It's my buddy, asking how the pork steaks are."
"Oh, no! Just tell him they're delicious."
"Too late. I just texted that we had to throw them out."
"It wouldn't hurt to tell him we enjoyed them."
"No. I'm telling the truth. He ain't gonna care. I paid for them."
If the buddy didn't really care, why would he send a text asking about those precious pork steaks? At least Hick might have said that the dogs found them tasty.
that is such a shame about the pork chops :'( Hick's honesty is something I am not used to - I would have made up a white lie as well.
ReplyDeleteThe buddy still hasn't responded to that "honest" text. Hick still says the buddy won't care about the dogs eating the meat instead of us.
DeleteWe lost power for 3 days after a summer storm. I had just went to the store and stocked up since I had received a summer teacher check. My husband still talks about this upset, even though it was probably 20 years ago.
ReplyDeleteThat makes it so much more annoying, when you've just bought all that stuff.
DeleteWe lost electricity for a couple weeks during an ice storm in 2007. Our food was fine then, heh, heh. It stayed nice and cold. We had to stay at my mom's house in town.
My husband feels free to say anything that crosses his mind, too. He means well.
ReplyDeleteGenius inherited that habit from Hick. He told my superintendent, upon walking past him on the way inside one morning, "My dad pees off the porch." He was in pre-school at the time, but still tells it like he sees it. Of course I had to receive a ribbing from the super, who told me, "I hear there might be a case of indecent exposure reported at your house."
Delete