Tuesday, September 8, 2026

The Culprit

This is the limb that fell on the bridge that took down the electric line that gives Val all the amenities of modern life. It doesn't look like a big limb. But its dive was powerful enough to leave Val powerless for 13 hours and 20 minutes.


This was on the way home from town Sunday. With $79.40 of groceries to replace those I had to throw out. That's actually just a limb off a big tree. I saw where the branch had twisted off as I came from the other side on the way to town. It's not visible, but was around the upper right corner area of the picture.


I don't sense that the tree-trimming crew did much trimming. Looks like they just shoved the whole thing off the bridge into the creek. The other side only had an itty bitty limb.


Hick said he could see where they patched the electric line. I couldn't even see where the actual line was running across the creek. All I know is I'm happy to have my power back! I don't need to know how the sausage is made...

8 comments:

  1. Egads! Glad your power is back but such a bummer about those groceries :'(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so relieved when the electricity was finally restored. Not just because I was bored, or wanted running water, but because of the extreme heat, and wanting my air conditioning!

      Delete
  2. I'm like you, not needing to know how the sausage is made, as long as the results are acceptable. The branch in the creek will provide a home for little fishies and frogs maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minnows, probably, unless a bigger fish decides to swim up from the big river about a quarter mile away. This creek is pretty shallow except when it rains.

      Delete
  3. Rural living is perfect for kiddos exploring. Not so good for power outages. My dad got us stuck on a low water crossing pad like this once where water was plunging down a drop off. I was five and am still traumatized by mom yelling at him as it got dark. She threatened to walk with my brother and me. We started walking and a coyote bayed. Dad swore the coyotes would eat us. Mom swore at him. Oh my. We made it, finally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you survived. I would rather face a coyote than raging water. It's no joke. I figure I could put up a fight with a coyote, but water is too powerful.

      Delete
  4. I have been watching all the bad weather on the news. Knock wood, it seems to have skirted us. Instead, my computer issues just keep getting worse. Fruitflies, too! I was lapping a fly and hit something on the computer (whose top is hanging by a thread) and disabled the mouse. I threw a bit of a fit because The Man bought a cheap piece of crap for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Fruit flies and computer issues both! Even one would discombobulate me.

      Delete