Tuesday, July 28, 2026

HIck Is a Shrewd Businessman

Hick had a good day of selling at his SUS2.5 on Sunday. Thirteen items (of the strictly regulated and pricey variety), though about half of them were put into lay-a-way for payments. He also had a couple offers he could refuse.

"This guy come in with a bunch of arrowheads. Two of 'em was good, but most of them were broken. I offered him $40 for the lot. He asked if I was joking. He said, 'I wouldn't take that just for one!' The he showed me a German soldier's helmet. I took a picture of it. You can do a search on the picture. It came back as NOT a soldier's helmet, but a German police/firefighter helmet. I offered him $40, and he said he had $500 in it. I didn't do any business with him."

I guess some of these "customers" think Hick is a country bumpkin with no knowledge of collectibles whatsoever. I told Hick that you never know these days. Somebody might see arrowheads in his shop, and complain that they are not to be bought and sold, and should be returned to whatever Native American group to which they originally belonged.

"Yeah. I didn't ask where he got them. I know we have two here in my case that the boys found down by the creek when we bought the land. And they're in good shape, not like the ones this guy had."

As a public service announcement, you should beware that if somebody tries to sell you a German soldier's helmet, it might not be all he claims.

No comments:

Post a Comment