Thursday, January 18, 2024

Val Thesamaritan

Val is not just Thevictorian! 

[For those not in-the-know, Val got her name from a 9th grade student who always thought "valedictorian" was actually spelled: "Val, the victorian." Because it was a victory to be top of the class.]

Val is also Thesamaritan. Not necessary a GOOD SAMARITAN. But a Good-Enough Samaritan. I am a compassionate person who unselfishly helps MYSELF!

Coming out of the Gas Station Chicken Store on Wednesday, I was startled to see a very dangerous item on the pavement about two feet from T-Hoe's left rear tire. I picked it up and put it in my pocket. Wouldn't want anybody to drive over it, and get it imbedded in their MY tire!


There it is on my kitchen counter, with a random quarter to show the size. I thought it was a Phillips head screwdriver bit. Au contraire! Hick picked it up, and said it was a star drill bit with five points. That's until he said it was a Torx bit with six points. Hick really does know his tools. Really. But he sometimes calls them something else. 

Anyhoo... Hick said, "I need that!"

So here I am, thinking I provided Hick with some rare and expensive tool. Until I looked online and saw that you can get a whole 14-piece set of these for under $7. This one happens to be a number 15. I guess they come in different sizes. Oh, and Hick says he already has one, but the points wear down, so it's always good to have another one.

Whatever. As long as that thing is not waiting for me to pull into the handicap space at the Gas Station Chicken Store, run over it with T-Hoe's front tire, just right for it to flip up and impale itself in T-Hoe's rear tire.

Val's your gal. Saving the world (but mostly herself) from unfortunate impalations.

14 comments:

  1. Most of the time, I have had to save myself from pointy things waiting for my tire. I am glad you saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see it on the way in, but I guess the lighting was right on the way out. I'm sure I would have poked my tire with it the next day if I hadn't found it!

      Delete
  2. Does Hick wear glasses? If not, maybe he should visit an eye doc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Hick wore glasses before, and got new ones after his cataract surgery. I had to hand him is "cheaters" the other day to sign something before he left for the day. I asked if he ever got his new glasses, and he said yes. Then I asked where he keeps them, and he said, "On my head." So I asked why he needed his cheaters. And he said, "Because I wasn't ready to leave yet. I just got up." Which was believable, since he was in his tighty-whities while signing.

      Delete
  3. That's the annoying thing about drill bits, the points wearing down so you have to keep buying the damn things or use a million nails and screws instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manufacturers probably make them that way on purpose, to sell more!

      Delete
  4. Can never have too many tools or backups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a carefully curated collection of gloves until I lost them in my destroyed house. I miss leather gloves lined with cashmere! Or my ski gloves because they handle below freezing weather. f course, the leather construction/gardening gloves and the cheap brown garbage-taking-out gloves were necessary. Sorry to rhapsodize about gloves in the dump...lol. You are correct, the huge gloves would be good backup gloves. Has Hick ever looked at your hands?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had leather gloves, but nothing so fancy as cashmere. I DID have a student named Cashmere one time! A frail little blond boy in 1st grade, who did not know that his name was a bit unusual.

      Hick also has a collection of white and brown gloves that I call gardening gloves. When he'd have somebody come out to help him with a project, he'd start peeling off pairs of gloves from a giant pack.

      It is quite possible Hick has never looked at my hands. He shocked me one day making a comment about my "cavity" that I'd had for 20 years. Which was NOT a cavity, just an empty little space I've always had between my two front teeth, up at the top by the gum, smaller than a pin head.

      Delete
    2. I buy leather with cashmere 50% off after Christmas. Other linings make my hands sweat. I keep these for years, so not a common purchase. That is funny about the cavity.

      Delete
    3. My hands have never been warm enough to sweat in gloves. Hick does not pay much attention to details! I might have let a cavity go somewhere else, because I am deathly afraid of the dentist and need laughing gas to endure a procedure. But not if I had one IN MY FRONT TEETH! And not for 20 YEARS!

      Delete
  6. I bet we have that one and about a thousand others that I have carefully separated and stored neatly, only to have HeWho go buy more instead of looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a betting woman, and I would bet my weekly cash allowance that you DO have that one, and a thousand others!

      Delete