Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Another Tale of Unstable Val

Here now! Stop snickering and warming up your crazy temple twirly fingers! This is a story of PHYSICAL instability. 

We had a week of frozen rain, then melting, then actual rain. Our gravel roads are a mess. The repeated freezing at night and thawing during the day have created a myriad of pot holes. Some of them going halfway to China. The loads of rock from last summer are mere memories now, swallowed by the road bed. Funny how you have to blast out solid rock to put in a basement, your phone line rests in a shallow grave a few inches deep, yet the area where the roads run seem to never have heard of bedrock!

Anyhoo... driving T-Hoe along a mile of gravel mud road gets him filthy, even though I keep my speed to 10 mph to avoid a concussion from hitting my head on the roof if I am forced through a pot hole by oncoming traffic. I don't care so much if T-Hoe looks bad until a good rain and some subsequent fair weather. I DO care about getting mud all over my pants legs from the running board caked with an inch of that mud.

Hick had come out to help carry in groceries. I'd put them on the passenger seat, because when we get them out of T-Hoe's rear, high-spirited and poorly-trained Scarlett jumps up on the bumper with her front paws, and leans on me for petting. Not one of my favorite activities in this weather. She doesn't jump up with just the car door open, so that was my plan.

Anyhoo... Hick took all the bags but one. I said I could manage it, since it only held a clear plastic box of little chocolate donuts, and two half-loaves of Nutty Oat Bread. I looped it over my left arm, along with my purse, and held my metal water bottle as usual as I climbed out, using my right hand to steady myself on the open driver's door.

I don't step down from the running board. That requires too much knee-bending. I turn sideways, get both feet out on the running board, and then slither down to the ground. The height is just about right, my rumpus coming off the edge of the seat as my toes hit the ground.

However... when the running board is filthy muddy, I try to avoid dragging my pants legs over it. So I lean back, extend my legs more, and am a bit unbalanced (HEY! I warned you about that crazy temple twirly finger already!) when I hit the ground, leaning back a bit. Usually no big deal. I push myself upright with my left elbow against T-Hoe's side.

Well. Donuts and bread must be heavier than you would think! There I was, leaning back, and slowly tilting to my left, being betrayed by gravity, bread, and donuts! I thought I was going to fall over sideways on the concrete floor, wedged between T-Hoe and the garage wall. Where Scarlett would romp all over my face, probably, the object of her ADORATION already in the house.

I clawed at T-Hoe's open door with my right hand, finally getting a grip on the frame by the window. It was still behind my center of gravity. So it took a lot of effort to stop my slow fall, remain steady, and get my left foot over enough to balance.

If I was smarter, and less offended by a little mud, I might have just sat down on the edge of T-Hoe, at the bottom of the seat, above the running board, and rested for a minute before shifting my feet, and wallowing in that mud to stand up and proceed out of the garage.

10 comments:

  1. We had to rent an Expedition for a few days. Garages no longer have loaners. That running board was almost the death of me. I fell from that height into the yard, like the guy falling in Vertigo!

    I hate mud even on a regular car because my pants always get dirt/mud/water on them, depending on conditions outdoors. I was fully expecting to hear you fell. Glad that was not so.

    Dogs always go for the face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember reading about your rescue. Glad you were "mostly" okay after that fall.

      I was fully expecting to fall! Glad I didn't! Scarlett will go for my face from the side porch. I've taught her to sit down and wait to be petted, rather than jumping at me, but she will suddenly lunge and try to lick my mouth. I've been blocking her with my purse arm, so she licks my water bottle that I have looped on my finger. YUCK! I know where a dog's tongue has been!

      Delete
  2. You could trade T-Hoe in on a Ferrari. They're a lot closer to the ground, I've heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I would have to live in it for the rest of my life, because I could never get out of something that low!

      Delete
  3. Hi Val, I'm glad to hear that you didn't fall as you were getting out of T-Hoe. You get more exercise getting into and out of T-Hoe than I get all day long:) Keep safe my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, heh! That's next to no exercise at all! But it DID seem exhausting after spending ten days at home with my recent cold.

      Delete
  4. I'm trying hard to imagine this manouver and your near fall. Do you turn sideways on the seat then put your feet to the running board? If that's the way, could you put a grocery bag in the footwell to lift out after you are safely aground? Your other option might be to have Hick come back for that last bag or have him take the lot of them in one trip. But hide the small pack of doughnuts in your purse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I turn sideways on the seat, and put both feet on the running board. Then I slide out, with purse and water bottle on my left arm.

      I thought the grocery bag would be light, and I'd save myself a trip around to the passenger seat to get it out. Turns out donuts and bread could be used for lifting weights!

      Normally, I'd leave my purse on the passenger seat, and put my water bottle there, if I was planning to carry in a couple bags. So I would get out unencumbered, and go around to fetch those items to carry into the house.

      Hick would have jammed it on his arm with the other bags, but I didn't want the bread to get smashed. The little chocolate donuts were in a plastic box. 24 of them! So not just a little pack! I told him they were in the bag, so no secret. We share them. SO FAR!

      Delete
  5. We had an Expedition in MN. HeWho wanted me to drive it, thinking it would have better traction in the snow. I drive very slow in snow and I figured the weight of it wold just make it slide further. Now we have a Dodge Ram truck, with a running board. I would not be able to climb in with out it. To get out, I do the same thing you do and have lost my balance more than once! it is always humblig to be on your butt in mud ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister the ex-mayor's wife has an Expedition. Or maybe an Excursion. Some big ol' Ford, with the running boards that go up under the car frame while driving, and then lower themselves when the door opens.

      Delete