Thursday, April 23, 2020

iDon't Love My New Used iPhone

My new used iPhone 8 is leading me down the primrose path. There I am, enjoying the peaceful interlude, when I notice that my barefoot feet are treading on slimy slugs. The farther I stroll, the bushier the foliage grows. Thorns grasp at my non-trendy old-lady clothes. My face is wrapped in a spiderweb strewn across the path at Val-head height. Which blinds me, causing me to not notice the trap lined with pointy sticks, overlaid with cedar boughs that don't hold Val's weight. While the birds perched above drop doo-doo on her head.

It is essentially a match made in Not-Heaven.

Don't think that I can't operate my new used iPhone 8. Recall that I only need it to perform three functions. 1) Text The Pony. 2) Take pictures. 3) Make calls. I understand how to do all three. I'M not the one dragging my feet in this relationship.

Sometimes my texts will go through. Usually I can receive The Pony's texts. Last night, Hick was on the list for another episode of "This Is the Time of Day When We Talk About the Most Recent Things You've Done Wrong." Because I sent him a text concerning supper, and he didn't respond. Only he DID! From the porch, where he was grilling on Gassy G. He swore he replied. Even showed me on his own phone, an LG Stylo 5. And I DID receive Hick's texts. Three hours later.

Taking pictures is a crapshoot, not a photo shoot! Sometimes it works. Sometimes I can take the picture, but then the screen goes black. The phone shuts off and restarts. Then says Safari cannot connect to a signal. Even though I'm in a place where it was previously working.

I've only made one call. To Hick. It worked.

ONE OUT OF THREE AIN'T GOOD!

In addition to not performing my necessary functions, my new used iPhone 8 is heavy as lead. Slippery. Who designed this thing, anyway? The ON button is opposite the VOLUME buttons! So when I have to turn off the phone to see if I can remedy the texting problem, it messes with the volume. I am ready to chuck this phone as soon as I pay if off (since they wouldn't let me buy it outright), and get a different one!

It's better than nothing. At least I've had intermittent use of a kind-of phone over these weeks sincy my Nexy died.

I figure that once I make a final deposit into The Pony's account (since I have that app working), and we get him home from college (there's a whole 'NOTHER story), I'll get a different phone.

Hick says not to tell Genius.

6 comments:

  1. I have no such issues with my I-phone. I think it is an 8, maybe because yours was used, perhaps why the previous user no longer uses it. Anyway, BINGO on the volume on/off thing. I am constantly readjusting my volume because of this. I can't believe that no one noticed this when the thing went through testing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Hick would say, "Some educated engineer designed it!"

      I fixed my new used iPhone 8 tonight so it will send a picture to my other email if I'm in my lair. I adjusted the setting to our other home WiFi, instead of the one Genius told me to put it on.

      Of course, it still shut itself down 5 times before I could make it actually TAKE a picture to send myself.

      I don't know if my iPhone being USED is the issue, or if our rural connectivity is not friendly to iPhones.

      Delete
  2. Hoo hooo hooo, my sides hurt. "Crap shoot not a photo shoot." Woman write a book.

    Our cell phones would not work int he gym at school because of the metal. Could be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All my waking moments are spent trying to make this phone work! No time to write a book!

      Since Hick put a metal roof on the garage, my Sirius XM radio won't work when I pull in. My phone will. We also have a metal roof on the house now, but had problems all along with cell phones working inside, even with a regular roof. Now I lose connection on the porch, too, with the iPhone.

      My phone randomly shows NO SERVICE, AT&T, or SPRINT. Even in town. We have AT&T for the landline, but our cell phones are on SPRINT. Something is fishy in Backroads.

      Delete
  3. I knew that used phone would be trouble. Phones are on my list of things never to buy used. Along with cameras, shoes, jeans and laptops. Why jeans? Because ever since I heard a few people saying they don't wear underpants with jeans I've felt icky even touching them in the local thrift shop. I don't care how many times they got washed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every phone I ever had, except the first one, has been used. Used by Genius, then handed down to me when he took the upgrade and got a new one.

      Hick buys his jeans at Goodwill. I guess his own tighty-whities protect his nether regions, although he DOES wash the used jeans before wearing.

      Delete