Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Hope This Doesn't Put the Kibosh on My Pennyillionaire Fortune

Welp! It's happened. On Friday at 12:01 a.m., our county officially enters a lock-down stay-at-home phase. Thanks to the five women who are VIRUS-positive. A wedding guest, three home health care workers, and an 78-year-old who didn't travel or associate with known infecteds.

Funny that it's really no different from the precautions that have been in place for two weeks already. The restaurants have been closed to eaters. No gatherings. I imagine there will be another toilet paper shortage, starting Wednesday, from people who get their money on the 1st, just learning this news. That darn Hick has even suggested that we pick up a pack, even though we have 10 rolls of Charmin in the hall closet already. I nipped that idea in the bud. We don't need it. Our usual purchase is a 9-pack or 12-pack as we run out. I'm pretty sure we'll be fine.

It won't affect us much here in Backroads. The main difference being that Hick won't go to his Storage Unit Store, and I will be making my 44 oz Diet Cokes at home. This "order" from the county commissioners instructs us to call the county health center if we spot violators. Not 911. Not the sheriff's department. Also, it's open-ended, which has the reluctant homer-stayers in a tizzy.

I'll be going to the grocery store a couple times a week. Once for Country Mart, once for Save A Lot. They each have things they do well. The butcher at Save A Lot has enviable meat, heh, heh! I also prefer their romaine lettuce, cheese, sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips. Huh. I must be hankerin' for some taco salad. Country Mart has Hick's special individual ice cream cups, vanilla with swirls of strawberry and chocolate. Also, we like their deli food. The bananas and tomatoes and onions are better there. It's not like we can have carry-out delivered, here in the boondocks.

Of course, since I'll be in town anyway, I'll drop by the Gas Station Chicken Store for my magical elixir on those days. And perhaps a scratcher or two. Until then, I'll be making my own, lesser, elixir. And not scratching.

This guy might be the last of my big fortunes for a few weeks:


I picked him up at Country Mart (left side machine) on Monday. This is an old ticket, out for several years. I buy it when I find it. I never had the MONEY BAG symbol before. It means WIN ALL. Of course every prize was the minimum on this ticket. That's how this dapper dude keeps his MONOPOLY, I suppose. Still, I'm not complaining! That's another hundo. Only two days after my last hundo!

Hick has said that he'll give up his daily clandestine donuts. We'll see. We're making a run on the grocery store on Tuesday, because I get my money on the 31st. Not that we don't have a considerable cushion in the account to cover it anyway. It's just our way to stay on budget. Hick has already named items he wants to replace his daily donuts. They're not really an improvement. Little Debbie Cakes, or (probably "AND") some bake-at-home cinnamon rolls.

I hope I can still find pennies during my five-sevenths (5/7) lockdown!

12 comments:

  1. You'd be wise to wear a mask and gloves on your trips to town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are scarce as hens' teeth! Although Hick DID find some masks in the BARn that he'd had for years. Maybe to keep from inhaling insulation or paint spray.

      Delete
  2. $100! That should be enough to buy a roll or two...if you act fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. A roll or two...

      Here's the catch. Only the drive-thru is open at the bank. They can only send out two rolls at a time. So I can't spend the whole ticket on 200 rolls of pennies, unless I want to live in the drive-thru lane temporarily.

      Delete
    2. I was talking about a roll or two of toilet paper.

      Delete
    3. Heh, heh! I guess all I have to say to that is: "Nevermind..."

      Surely you can't expect me to think of toilet paper, when my Future Pennyillionaire Fortune is on my mind!

      Delete
  3. mmmmm, bake-at-home cinnamon rolls, I wish we had those out here even though I'm not supposed to be eating anything like that just now. We're all in stay-at-home mode too with exceptions for shopping (no browsing, no chit-chat with friends, just get in get out go home) and daily exercise. I don't mind so much, but I do miss having the option to just go somewhere for no particular reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hick will eat every one of those cinnamon rolls. I am not a fan.

      At least you can get outside a bit. Maybe chit-chat from a distance! I don't mind making my own 44 oz Diet Coke. It's ALMOST as good. And if I really want to scratch a ticket every day, I can buy more when I DO go to town, and ration them!

      Delete
  4. So we are adjusting as best we can. We had a list of 5 items, raced into the store and raced out. But at least our shelves are mostly stocked, exc. for the desired paper.

    I baked Irish Brown Bread on Sunday, and it was pretty accurate. I'll check out another recipe in a day or so.

    Hmm. I have some frozen rhubarb and berries; maybe a pie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind going in the smaller stores. It's Walmart I despise. I hadn't been there for at least a month. But we needed some stuff that's cheaper there, and of course the Easter candy for the boys!

      I hope your bread was delicious, and that you whip up a tasty pie. I'll have to get pretty tired of staying home before I start trying out recipes.

      Delete
  5. If you need masks I can send some to you. Free, of course. You can't get sick, who else will I laugh with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very kindly for that offer! Your masks are attractive and sensible, but others need them more that we do. Hick has some masks he found in the barn, for paint spraying. That said, he has only worn one ONCE, when he went to the doctor for his shot.

      I have no intention of getting sick. I'm a fervent face non-toucher and handwasher. I mastered the breath-holding technique before I retired. Holding my breath until I got away from errant wheezers and coughers.

      The only contact on my schedule is a grocery trip to NOT-WALMART before the weekend, and possibly a dash to a Sprint store about a phone.

      Delete