Friday, October 4, 2019

Oh, Crap! The Ersatz Thomas Jefferson Has Tumbled Off His Boot!

Hick is finishing up the staining of the porch, a project he started about four weeks ago. He took a nine-day vacation to Nevada, so it's not like he's been slacking around the house.

Wednesday, he started around noon, to finish the last unfinished wood on the front porch. I could see him out the front window, Hick and his stool, heh, heh! After a shower, as I was stepping into my shoes for my daily trip to town, I heard a THUMP! There was no sign of Hick in front of the window.

I strolled to the front door, just in case. There was Hick, to the right of the door, on his hands and knees, with his tiny brush, painting stain onto the boards.

"Did you fall? I heard a thump."

"Yeah. My stool dumped me."

"Are you sure you're okay? Before I leave for town?"

"I'm okay."

"Is that why you're on your hands and knees? Are you hurt?"

"Just my pride. It flipped me over backwards. Like when I was working down at the other end of the porch before my trip."

"Oh. I see the dirt stuck to your back now. You're lucky you didn't go over the side, into the rocks." [Let the record show that bordering the porch, we have lava rocks surrounding large decorative rocks and tree stumps that Hick hauled from the creek.]

"Yeah, I know."

I felt a little bit sorry for Hick. Although he should have KNOWN that his stool would throw him. Since it happened before. I really hope he power-washed the next section before staining. Unless he was confident that his sweaty bare back had lifted all the dust from the boards.

Hick was still alive and kickin' when I came home from town. The only part left to stain is the back of the railings. Which are 15 feet above the ground, on the back porch. I hope there will be no stool involved in that adventure.

6 comments:

  1. "My stool dumped me" There has to be a thirteen-year-old-self joke from that line somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laughing at joeh :)
    I honestly thought once the staining of the porch began, it would soon be finished, but here it is getting done four weeks later, and still the backs of the railings to be done. Perhaps he'll do them with a long handled brush while hanging over the top of the railings. Or from ground level with an even longer handled brush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's my 13-year-old self's best buddy!

      I knew it would be like all of Hick's other projects. Off to a quick start, can't wait, must buy materials and do it NOW. Then he loses interest.

      That load of gravel he had to buy the same day as all that porch stain is still piled over by the BARn. Hasn't touched it. I guess landscaping around POOLIO wasn't as necessary as he proclaimed.

      I think Hick will get his very-long ladder, and climb up from the ground. Still using his tiny brush.

      Delete
  3. Rush out and buy what is needed and then it gets pushed back and pushed back until you can no longer find it, then go out and buy the supplies again. Drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least Hick can still find his giant pile of gravel! He SAYS he used some to landscape the end of the house. Guess he didn't need quite as much as he thought...

      Delete